I was in a motor vehicle accident at work approximately 16 months ago. I just received the results from my MRI and found out I have a compression fracture of c5, fluid in the marrow of c5 and something is inflammed but cant remember what. The muscles in my neck and shoulders are constatly tight. I have been driving an extremely bouncy garbage truck for approximatley a year with this condition. I have been getting by with the pain by using ibuprophen and tylenol coctail. I also take oxazepam at night so that I can sleep. What is my recovery going to be like? How long will it be and what can I expect as far as activities that will be allowed? Is there anything else I can be taking to help with the pain?

Hi! I found that C5 is the most common compression fracture of the cervical spine. It may involve injury to the nerve root and/or cord itself. I also read that in most cases, an operation is unnecessary to heal a compression fracture. Wearing a brace or cast and engaging in minimal activity while taking anti-inflammatories will allow the body to repair damage within six to ten weeks in many cases of stable fractures. I hope you'd get well soon. :-)