Hi. A friend of mine had a femur fracture. I know femur is the longest bone in our bodies. I would like to hear something about femur fractures. Can these fractures cause permanent disability? How long will it take for him to recover?

Hi. Femur fractures can cause permanent disability, but this is highly unlikely. Femur fracture patients are usually well immobilized. They should be put into traction. With now-days procedures, you can expect to see him walking around in 3-6 months. It depends on the bone`s size. I had a femur fracture last year. I was in bed for 6 months. I didn`t have to go to the school, but it was so boring just lying there, doing nothing. It was winter and all of my friends were playing in the snow. I actually had the same problem 5 years ago. So, I had a femur fracture twice.