Hello, guys. My father was in a car accident several days ago. He is all right now, but he got compression fracture. I would like to know what his treatment will be. What is usual for this situation? I will appreciate all your replies. This will mean a lot to me.

Hi, there. Surgery will be necessary when there is a danger for spinal cord to be pressed by spine. Medications are also a treatment option. Ibuprofen and naproxen are non-steroidal anti-inflammatories that are used in this situation. Opiate analgesic like hydrocodone is also good for this. Muscle relaxants can also be used – carisoprodol and diazepam. Percutaneous vertebroplasty is relatively new procedure. A needle is put through the skin into the vertebra and a biomaterial is put into a fracture. This is excellent in relieving a chronic pain, although I think it is more used for osteoporotic fractures. I hope everything will be all right with you. Bye!