Hello everyone. We were talking about hypothyroidism a few days ago, this was very helpful discussion as well. So, I want to thank you, because some of those posts were really helpful to my friend Aisha. She called me yesterday, and she told me that her dog was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

She told me that she is not worried, because her vet is great, and she trust him.

But, she wants to know, how to take care of dog with hypothyroidism at best way?

Do you have any experience?

I am sure that she will treat him really good. Tnx in advance. 

Hey. It is nothing dramatic and serious. Even if your dog is diagnosed with hypothyroidism, he can live totally normal life, like every other dog. With proper care, your dog can have really good health and long life. So, what is the proper care? I think that your vet will give thyroid hormone to dog that is available in the tablet form. Your dog should consume those tablets for one month, or thirty days. After this, you should take him to the vet to do some blood sample, for free T4 just to see in what stage is the disease. Once your dog is on medicine, you need to give those medicine to him for the rest of the pet’s life. 

Hello there.

Thank you so much for your advice, your help. I really noticed that you have great experiences with pets, and I think that your answers are totally good and right.

But, I was talking with my friend ten minutes ago, and she told me that she is not into any kind of medicines. I don’t know why, she just don’t want to talk about this, she is refusing to give her dog medicines.

Can you tell me is there some other way, beside this medicine?

I do believe that you do know what are you talking about, but she is not for this solution.

Hey. I am really sorry, but I need to tell you that your friend is hardheaded lady. This treatment is definitely the best option, option number one. It is not expensive treatment, it is not harmful, it doesn’t have any side – effects. I really don’t see any reason why she don’t want to hear about medicines. She needs to know that her dog will HAVE to take oral drugs daily, for the rest of his live. This is nothing harmful, it can’t be, because this drug is manmade hormone called L – thyroxin. Doses are different from dog to dog, and if she treats him right, this is the only way for long, quality life. 

I totally agree with you.
I don’t see why she doesn’t want to give treatment to her dog, because I really believe that this is the best option.

Tell me, did she saw the vet after this?
I still do believe that this is the only way to treat this disease right, I don’t see any other way.
Of course, there are some diet program that can help you treat this dog, but it can be effective without treatment.
Try to tell her about this, because I am sure that with good arguments, she will accept this thing.
I do repeat, this is the only way.

Hey. Let me join this discussion.

If you don’t want to treat him with meds, there is always other options such as surgery. Now, think twice do you want to see your dog going through that.

There are some natural ways as well, but I think that treatments with meds in this case are the best option.

If your dog is a leash puller or likes to launch at other dogs, use a front attacked harness only.Also, feed your dog with raw food and avoid processed foods.

You can use some supplements for your dog which act as a detox. Those are good because it helps to eliminate heavy metals. 

Good day folks.

I think that there is a difference between cats and dogs with hypothyroidism. I remember that my aunt had her little Rea cat, and I remember that I was pretty young when her cat was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

First, I didn’t know what is this but now, I remembered.She was totally against the operation, because someone told her that this is wrong option and that this cat can be treated only with diet program.

Did I forget to mention that this cat died three months after this diet program?

Well, when she went to see the vet and he told her that that was her biggest mistake.I repeat, I don’t know that much about this issue, but I think that meds are good option, and maybe the only one.

Have a nice day!