Hello, folks. I have read something about botulism and I must admit that this disease scares me a lot. Its signs and symptoms are really tough. I would like to know if there is anything that can be done for preventing this disease. I would appreciate this piece of info. Thanks.

Hello. Botulism is rare, but very serious condition. The bacterium Clostridium botulinum produces toxin called botulinum toxin. This is the most poisonous substance. In prevention, it is most important thing not to use suspicious cans. You should cook even food from cans. Do not eat food from bulging cans or if the food smells bad. Store oils or herbs should be kept in the refrigerator. For preventing botulism in kids, avoid giving infants honey or corn syrup. You can check the details with specialists such as infectologists.