Hello. I have one problem - I’ve had really itchy breasts lately. I’ve first started feeling it about two weeks ago. I have to mention that I do have quite large breasts (if that info helps). Also, I don’t believe that cause is washing powder or allergy on material - I’m always using the same washing powder (not only for breasts) and so far I’ve no other part of my body is itchy. What could be the cause?? What can I do about it???

Well, cause for your problem could be something very simple as mild eczema or more serious like condition known as intertrigo. Intertrigo is much more common for women with large breasts so it could be the cause in your case too. Fortunately, all these conditions are treatable with simple ointments - if these symptoms persist for longer period of time I would suggest you to see your doctor and get a prescription for it.

I am 50, have normal size breasts, and the nipples first started itching severely 6 months ago. Now the nipples don't itch too much, however my breasts itch terribly. I can't go a few minutes without trying to scratch them. I've used the same non-allergy detergent, eat healthy, have a glass of wine a night, have a normal sex life with my husband.....nothing out of the ordinary.
Many months ago I received an email that itchy breasts are not recognized by the american cancer society as a cancer symptom AND it is a cancer symptom! My doctor is old fashioned, and has not read the latest literature. I can't find any help. Any recommendations?

N. Moore

After reading many of the postings, and having gone through a few days of relief, I have concluded that it is our bras causing the itching. I never itched daily but it bothered me enough to google the problem. I read one woman's statement that when she would put on her new bra, she didn't itch but when she put on the old ones she would. I realized that I have the itching with 2 of my old bras. The oldest and the cotton one. Those are the two that have probably shrunk the most. Oprah has said that most women are wearing the wrong size bra. Even if we buy the right size, if you wash and dry them in machines (which I do) they shrink. So, try getting a new bra (in the right size) and hopefully the itching will disappear. If that works, we'll have to stop putting them in the dryer. Good luck.

I have had itchy breast, mainly the top half for two years. I changed all of my bras and I don't put them in the dryer. I use special detergent for allergies. I did find that it was worse with a new bra produced by Victoria Secret made out of a non breathing microfiber. But still with new bras
my breast itch, with or without lotion. I am getting a mammogram next week, so we shalll see if there is something wrong.

I bought a Victoria's Secret gel bra that, after wearing one time, caused me to itch for two weeks and that was while I was taking Benadryl and using cortisone cream! Since then I have purchased two other brands, non-gel, and am currently having the same problem but not as bad. After all the problems with making dog food, and finding melanine in infant formula, I think there might be cause to suspect that something else is an ingredient in the plastic or the latex or polyesters of bras. I have written to TV stations consumer advocates to check into this, but until more women complain nothing will be done. It is not the detergent. It is not the size of the breasts or the bra. This is something in the bras itself, and, in my case, is not brand specific. Keep asking your girlfriends and lets get some answers.

My breasts have been driving me insane for about 6 months. Yes, they are large - DD. The itch started around the nipple but now radiates out all over. The itch can be unbearable and occur during the night or day. It can keep me awake at night. Sometimes I think I could rip my nipples off the itch is so awful! I have seen my doctor and had a mammogram - all is clear. I do get allergies and my doctor thought it must be eczema (which I have had since a baby and am now 40) however I know this is different. There is no dry skin like eczema. The itch is just below the skin.

I live in a humid climate in Australia but the itch didn't go away when I was in snow in New Zealand.

To Itchy in Oz, I know exactly what you mean and my symptoms are identical, however, I live in a moderate climate in the USA.

Well i am really really worried because i am 13 years old and i have size 32 A breasts but for about 7 months now they have been itching then come time to time but i also havent had my period in 10 months now and i have very bad cramps in my legs and knees (not sure if that has anything to do with it) but its only itchy on one of my breasts and now im starting to get really worried about it does anyone have any ideas ? %-)

mine are itching like crazy and the more i scrath the worse it gets to where i am leaving cuts on them and i know tahts bad....... as for a the guest the little girl i would say tell your mom talk to her because there might be something wrong that is worse then just that........

Victoria's secret bras and i am sure many others contain formaldehyde. It causes itching and inflammation of the breasts. There is now a class action lawsuit against them. I encourage you to do what I am now doing as a result of this --- buy organic cotton bras with no UW. Forget VS and fashion bras...... I have itched for years.

I've been experiencing itchy breast for a couple of weeks now. I want to suspect the weather because I live in CA and it has been so dry lately. I have put Vaseline on the nipple area and that gives me relief. I apply it in the morning and night. Helps to know I'm not the only one. Thanks for sharing.

I am so glad I read your posting. My breasts started itching last week after I bought a new Victoria Secret WonderBra. I am 42 years old and thought that I was starting menopause, but now I am going to throw that bra away. The itching is ridiculous!

You give no help to the problem. All the women including me have the same problem, what we need are answers and you give none.

My breast have been itchy for like 6 months. I have no idea why. Reading this page makes me feel normal, thank you so much ladies. Now I have to admit, I am a lil scared it may be cancer from reading other blogs. I'm only 28yrs. Old n it's hard to get a mammogram at my age. But I'm going to da doctor to find out if there are any exceptions. I thought it might be due to me gaining weight but why no other part of my body itches and I ithch to the point that I feel like ripping my breast out but I'm afraid to scratch because I don't want stretch marks. It feels like the way it felt when my stomach itched when I was pregnant, n now I have a lot of stretch marks on my stomach. Sometimes at night I catch myself scratching, n I notice about a month ago my nipples have been flakey. I'll be mad if I get stretchmarks on my breast. My breast n my face is all I physically have going for me right now. Somebody, please help before it's too late! :-(