Hi, I suffer from type 2 diabetes, and my doctor prescribed me actos. He only told me that this drug controls high blood sugar and that I should take it once a day. Could you tell me something more about it?

Actos should be used in addition to diet and exercise. It helps with type 2 diabetes, but it shouldn’t be used for type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. It can be used alone, or in combination with oral diabetes medications and insulin injections. Don’t take any of those things on your own, but always do what your doctor tells you to. Actos improves the body's response to its natural supply of insulin. If you fail to follow diet and exercise plan, you could have some serious complications. This is very important to remember, because it could lead to dangerously high or low blood sugar levels. Common side effects of actos include hypoglycemia, headache, muscle aches, respiratory tract infection, but if you experience change in intensity, inform your doctor immediately.