Hello. My friend has a dog and we used to hang out every evening. My dog and hers are about the same age and we used to let them play in the yard while we drink our coffee. About a month ago we had a huge fight and I didn’t see her ever since. Yesterday I got a message from her saying that her Adonis is in danger and she asked me if I could come over. According to her, he has swollen lymph nodes and the vet told her it is a life threatening situation. Is this true? Can a simple thing as swollen lymph nodes really be life threatening for dogs?

Umm I don’t think so, but I’m not sure. I’m actually here with the same question.

I went over for dinner at my friends’ house the other day. One of them has an adorable dog, an Alsatian by the way, and he is so playful, like he is still a little baby, and he is 6 years old.

One of my friends was playing with him back in the yard and he came inside saying that he thinks that the dog has swollen lymph nodes on his neck.

He said that he was cuddling with him and he went over the nodes with his fingers and felt them.

Now I don’t know much about this, but all of my friends said it’s nothing serious. Maybe your friend is exaggerating. 

Hello. I am almost sure that swollen lymph nodes can be life threatening, of course if you realize what is your dog dealing in the beginning. If you find out that your dog has this problem it can only become worse and when is that bad it can’t be threatening. You should know that some illnesses progress rapidly and they are life threatening without any treatment while others progress very, but very slowly. Usually, they are managed as chronic disease. It can affect any organ in the body. I am always saying and I will repeat that you need to visit your vet all the time. Some diseases can be stopped.  

Hey friends.

If you cannot determine the main cause of swollen lymph nodes it can be. If a bacterial infection is present, the only thing that can help your dog are antibiotics. This really can help fight the disease.

There are so many medications that can help in this and if you don't determine the right cause it can be life threatening.

My friend Lilly has a dog with swollen lymph nodes for two years I think and as far as I know he is fine.

He has nice life. True, he is visiting the vet very often but she is not complaining.

Hey everyone,

Mima dear, I’m afraid that swollen lymph nodes can be life threatening for dogs if they are not being treated properly.

There are numerous causes of these diseases, and the life threatening ones include cancer and leukemia.

While there is a really big number of other causes which are not so dangerous, like some small infections, an allergy or the immune system overreacts to an evasion, cancer and leukemia are not so rare as a cause.

Her dog might be in danger,  so I’d suggest you that you should take this seriously. Keep in mind that even if it is the worst, it can be treated if discovered on time.

Swollen lymph nodes are usually not such a big deal Mima. But if her vet said that it can be life threatening, than it is. You should trust the vet. The only thing that can be life threatening in case of swollen lymph nodes are cancer and some really, really bad infection. And leukemia too as the user above mentioned, but that one is pretty rare. I don’t know how the cancer is treated in this case, it all depends about where it is situated. I’d advise that she talks to her vet about surgery which is almost always the best solution and it is not so dangerous.

Hey.

Why you are so scared Mima? Trust me – this is nothing. All you need to do is to find the cause of it, set the proper treatment with your vet and your dog is going to live normal and very quality life. Swollen lymph nodes are something that I am struggling with my dog for a long, long time. I was scared when this happened to my first dog (that was the first time I met with this issue, it was a new experience for me) and when I went to see the vet he told me that I have been paranoid.

Hello. Avatar, I have to disagree with you. Maybe this is not so dangerous and maybe Mima is a little bit scared but I don’t think that she is overreacting. This is the only way that dog owner should behave. Why? Because at this way pet owner is aware of possible situation that can happen. So basically you can’t say that THIS IS NOTHING. It is a disease and if you don’t find the cause, if you don’t treat it right anything can happen. There are so much cases of this disease and they all can be treated – if you find the right cause on the time.