Good day everyone. I am a proud owner of beautiful Jack Russell Terrier. His brother is diagnosed with canine hip dysplasia. I am scared that my Joshy could have this as well. That is why I am worried but I don’t see any symptoms in his behavior. Is it possible that some dogs won’t show symptoms? Are there any symptoms at all? If there are some, can you please tell me what they are and what are the treatment options of canince hip dysplasia? My friends are telling me that this is nothing serious and that my Joshy can live normal life but I am skeptical since I lost a lot of my dogs due some diseases. Tnx a lot!

Hello. Jason, you are skeptical for a reason. But don’t run with conclusions. You need to know that big breeds are more likely to get diagnosed with hip dysplasia. It is particularly common in breeds that weigh over 60 pounds and I don’t think that your dog will have 60 pound ever! But here are some symptoms. If your dog is between 5 to 10 months of ages they will take short steps that look like a rabbit steps. Older dogs will show pain and discomfort. Because it is very painful. Here are some tips what you should do to help your dog if he has hip dysplasia. You should feed him with dog pet food formulated for weight control. You should exercise with him. Don’t let him jump too much.

Hello there.

Tnx God I don’t have issue with this. But I was reading a lot about it. As far as I know it is very complex disease. A lot of symptoms can indicate to this disease, such as:

• Wobbly gait,
  • Bunny hopping gait when your dog is running,
  • He can’t climb the stairs,
  • He can’t find a proper position to sleep.

There are two ways to treat this disease – medical and surgical treatments. Medical treatment usually focuses on exercise restriction and controlling body weight, but sometimes your dog needs to go to the surgery.

Pain killers that your vet usually prescribe for your dog are aspirin, naproxen, cosequin, etc.

I am aware that Canine hip dysplasia is an inherited problem, but I can’t really see the reason why you are so worried. I mean, there are no symptoms in your dog, am I right? It is way to early to start worrying.

There really are some cases of hip dysplasia when there are no symptoms, but you would definitely notice something. You would notice that your dog seems stiff or sore in the hips when getting up. Or you would notice that he is reluctant when you try to force him to exercise.

You would definitely notice something, so don’t worry.

Well I believe that Jason has noticed some symptoms or else he would not be here asking this type of questions, right? So tell us Jason, what is it that you have noticed?

Your friends are right, there is no need to panic in advance, even if there is a problem like this it isn’t something that will lead to life threatening situation easily. For that to happen you really need to leave it out of control for a long period of time.

Don’t worry, even if he has it, it’s not as dangerous as you think. It can be controlled.

Hey guys. You are totally right. I am sorry because I didn’t give you enough information to help me. I notice that my dog is not the dog that I used to know if you can understand me. It seems to me that he is not interested in anything around him. He doesn’t want to walk anymore and we used to walk for three hours per day. Now he is lazy for long walks. He is not jumping anymore, he is not playing anymore like he was playing before. That is why I am worried because I don’t know what am I dealing with.

I think you are overestimating the danger of this disease.

I mean yes it can be dangerous, but mostly it is not and it can be treated.

And you probably won’t even have to deal with it since your dog doesn’t even have any symptoms.

And do you have any idea of how common is that among dogs. It is one of the most common skeletal diseases in dogs. All breeds can have it, although some are more prone to it. 

My advice for you is don’t let your dog overeat, don’t let him become obese because this is so much harder for obese dogs. It really affects the disease.

Losing the will to live sounds like a symptom to me. Just sayin' .

If my dog was to act like that, I would definitely freak out. Especially cause you can't figure out what’s wrong with him, it can be even something more serious that is bothering him.

As for the canine hip dysplasia, main symptoms include:

-  Refusing to exercise

- Bunny hopping (especially when climbing the stairs)

- Stiffness and pain

- Dogs find it very difficult to get up when they’re lying or sitting

-They often sit in "frog" position, in a way that one hip splays out