Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the early symptoms of hip dysplasia. I’ve noticed difficulty in his rising from a sitting position. My puppy is only 6 months old, we went on a control but since he is so young it didn’t cross my mind to ask about hips.

Your puppy is not young for symptoms of hip dysplasia cause the earliest symptoms begin to manifest between the ages of four months and one year. This disease is specific so spectrum of symptoms ranges from practically nonexistent to severe crippling. Early signs of hip dysplasia in a dog are described like 'hopping like a rabbit with the rear legs when running'. Signs such as difficulty stiffness in the first few steps after lying down, difficulty in rising from a sitting position, are often more evident after exercise. Also, it can be seen if reluctance to walk normal distances or play as hard or as long as normal dogs of the same age.