Hi. My baby girl was diagnosed with dysplasia of the hip. What is that? What are the treatment options? Is it true hip dysplasia is a hereditary disease?

Hi. Yes, hip dysplasia is a hereditary disease. If it`s severe, it can cause arthritis of the joints and crippling lameness. Occasionally, it may be found among humans, but it`s a dog`s disease. It manifests in early lafe, usually from birth. Dysplasia of the hip is more common in girls. Early dysplasia of the hip can be corrected with Pavlik harness in the first year of life. If the disease develops later, it can be a problem. There is no cure. The treatment includes meds and surgery.

I was diagnosed with bilateral hip dysplasia at 2 and a half, (a very bad case) i walked with a waddle (like a penguin) but from what i'm told i wasnt in pain at that point, I had surgery on both and was in a cast for almost 3 months. I had check up as was fine for all of my childhood, i played sports did dancing and was very athletic even excelling in all of my sports. When i was 17 i started to have pains when i walked only short distanced i am now 23 and a week and a half off getting a total hip replacement on my right hip(worse one) i have had 2 arthoscopies on my right hip, 2 major surgeries on both my hips and had pins removed from both hips. I have had cordisone injection and i felt it made it worse and i get massaged and dry needling which helps for a short amount of time but isnt a cure. I find the best thing is to ask around and try everything as something that doesnt work for someone might work for you. everyone is different and everyone has it a little worse/better than another. good luck and i hope this helps in any way. just talk to as many different people to get a better understanding of your options.