Hi Everyone,

So much has happened from the last time I posted something in this forum!  I am from Coventry (UK) and last year in October a charity called STEPS helped me and referred me to a consultant called 'Mr Johan Witt' who is based at UCLH (central London).  I was also referred to some other forums like 'Yahoo hip women' and on facebook a group called 'adult hip dysplasia'.  Since joining them I have learnt so much about Hip Dysplasia.

My Hip Dysplasia was missed when I was a baby, and throughout the years I have always had mobility problems.  But in the last 13 years I have been past from one consultant to another and from one hospital to another - all a waste of time as nobody knew what was wrong with me. (not enough awareness of the condition)

Mr Witt has helped me and I am now post op 8 weeks from having a LPAO (left peri-acetabular osteotomy).

I was told that I had severe dysplasia on my left side - but had a heathy hip space.  and the right handside is dysplastic too with osteoarthiritis - So that side will be in discussion when I next see Mr Witt in August for my follow up appt in the fracture clinic.

I also brought a book called 'Adult Hip Dysplasia' by Denise Sutherland and Dr Sophie West - which really helps understand the ins and outs of hip dysplasia an what to expect when you have surgery and post surgery.

I spoke to Dr Sophie West through the charity STEPS and she helped me understand what I was up against.  Today I use those forums on facebook and Yahoo groups where I have met so many people with Hip Dysplasia - all being treated in a variety of ways from many countries.  I have just brought another book called 'heal your hips' which look at water activities and exercises.

I just really wanted to share this with anyone out there with the same condition.  I am 33 now and many years of my life hs been wasted due to there  not being enough awareness on DDH (Hip dysplasia).  I am even involved in a study conducted by the International hip dysplasia institute!  As I said so much has happened - and I guess I am very passionate about helping people who are struggling and have no where to go.  I am more than welcome to help anyone who feels they are alone.

Nelly xx

Hi I'm 36 with same issue I have had no problems untill 5 months ago. I have 2 young children. I would be good to share info etc I'm also in uk

Hello, I'm a 23 y/o male who has been having hip pain and recently found out that my hip is "on the shallow side" which leads to loading effects on the hip consistent with dysplasia cases. My doctor told me that the lateral center edge angle of my hip is 29 degrees while dysplasia is technically 24 and under. If I have a labral tear it could likely be because of my "shallowish" but I've been having a hard time rationalizing that I could need surgery for a condition I don't technically have! I was wondering if you had any advice. Thanks, Eric

I saw a Ortho in Austin, Tx who fellowshipped at the stedman institute in vail, Co. Over the past 9 months, my left hip has become increasingly more problematic. Clicks, pops, deep groin pain, etc. When i walk, I walk with a limp and it has gotten a lot worse to where i can't even walk down stairs putting full pressure on my let leg. The doctor sent me for a MRI with contrast, steroid injection and mentioned that the X-rays I brought in show that my ball/socket is turned a bit. I'm relieved to know that there might be some answers. I came home and did a little research on the internet and it appears that Hip Dysplasia is the closest diagnosis (and hip labral tear) to what I am experiencing. I've never had any problems with my hip that i know of but I could very well have had a problem all my life (I've always been told that I have a unique walk)... but who knows. It hasn't been a problem until the past year. I don't have another appt for a month and I terrified of making the condition worse. Any thoughts on how to protect myself? Anyone have any other experiences?

I am having hip issues in Brownsville and saw you had a review from an ortho in Brownsville that did not properly diagnose you but you said you went to another ortho that was able to help diagnose you. I am in this boat, not finding any ortho docs in Brownsville that is even attempting to try to diagnose me. Can you help me find the best docs in our area for this. Thanks