I really don’t know if I should believe an info I have heard few days ago. Is it true that toenails often serve as barometers of our health? Someone said that they are diagnostic tools providing the initial signal of the presence or onset of systemic diseases. For example it is said that the pitting of nails and increased nail thickness can be manifestations of psoriasis. This really surprised me so I want to know more about different toenail problems.

Concavity of the nails that are rounded inward instead of outward, can foretell iron deficiency anemia. Some nail problems can be conservatively treated with topical or oral medications. Some others require partial or total removal of the nail. Any discoloration or infection on or about the nail should be evaluated by podiatric physician. Ingrown nails, the most common nail impairment, are nails whose corners or sides dig painfully into the soft tissue of nail grooves. This often leads to irritation, redness, and swelling. Usually, toenails grow straight out, but sometimes one or both corners or sides curve and grow into the flesh. The big toe is usually the victim of this condition, but also any other toe can become affected. If you suspect an infection due to an ingrown toenail, immerse the foot in a warm salt water soak, or a basin of soapy water. Then you may apply an antiseptic and bandage the area.