I do not know what to make of this... I have been newly diagnosed with diabetes.  I went to NHS for my health care and the nurse gave me a meter but no test strips or lancets.  I don't know how I am to do my blood sugars without test strips and lancets.  Has anyone else have this happen to them?  I believe it is crazy.  I do not have the money for test strips.  What is the point of having a meter with nothing else to test my blood with??

According to regulations for the NHS, they are to supply you with the needed test strips and supplies needed.  If they are not doing this, you should report it.  You are right about the fact that getting the meter isn't any good if you don't have the test strips and the lancets to use with it!  I would make a bet the nurse wasn't aware of the rules or she was hoarding the supplies on her own initiative.  You need to let the organization administrators know who did this and what had happened.  You will be getting your test strips and lancets, I assure you.

That doesn’t make any sense not to get your testing supplies with your meter.  The nurse was obviously a … ok I won’t say it but that just isn’t right.  She can’t be deciding who can and who can’t get a meter since it says in the rules that the NHS is to provide all testing supplies needed to the patient.  I would definitely fight this issue if I were you.  You need those supplies and you are entitled to get them.  Go to the highest administrative head and complain!  And while you are at it, get the supplies you are in need of!