Couldn't find what you looking for?


Hello all, I recently got a new job and had to move so I had to get another doctor. I had just bought a new meter that was very expensive and I really like it. My new GP forced me to change my blood glucose monitor. Apparently the test strips are cheaper for that monitor. The new monitor makes me uncomfortable so I'm not using it. Can a GP force me to do this? I'm really not happy with this situation but I don't know what to do about it. Anyone have a similar situation? Is there anything I can do to change this? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.



Hello, Interesting, I just had that happen to me but I didn't relocate but my GP said he was having all his patients change over to another meter. I've had my meter for years and I love it and I'm comfortable with it. I've been able to get extra test strips on eBay for years with my old meter. Now, this new meter has different test strips and I haven't been able to find any on eBay to save my life. My GB explained to me that the test strips for this new meter are cheaper and that's why they went to the new meter. Apparently the same situation you have. The only thing I can suggest is that you talk with your GP about your particular situation and see if they respond. After all, they can't help if they don't know that anything is wrong. Clearly, the doctors buy in bulk and that can save considerable money. I would try to get used to the new meter and go with the cheaper test strips if you can. I mean after all, you were buying extra test strips on eBay. You probably wouldn't have to do that now. If you had troubles with the new meter such that you couldn't read it or physically use it for some reason (some disability) then I think you could stay with your old meter and still get test strips. It doesn't sound like you really having problems just having difficulty in adjusting to a new meter.