Hi. I have a pretty bad cold. The week has passed but the sniffling, sneezing and blowing are still here and this cold seems like it will never go away. My condition is only getting worse and there is an endless sourse of thick green phlegm. Also, my chest hurts and last night I`ve had a fever. Don`t know what`s going on. Could it be some mean disease, not a cold at all?

Hi. I`ve had a bad cold myself, with the same symptoms, that mean looking thick green phlegm and with pain in my chest. I was diagnosed with bronchitis. A cold virus can give you a sinus or ear infection, bronchitis or pneumonia. That thick green phlegm traps the bacteria, which can produce the infection. So, it started like a simple cold and turned into a bacterial infection. A fever is not a typical symptom of a cold, but a sign that the cold has run into a bacterial infection. Anyway, what to do? Rest a lot. Don`t smoke and avoid the smoky environments. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Drink herbal tea and eat a lot of a chicken soup. Don`t take antibiotics, they are useless against viruses.