Hello everybody. 

I am wondering if you could help me out here. 

My six year old daughter has suffered from a bad sunburn and I feel dreadful. I realize it is absolutely my fault that it happened, but we having fun at the beach and we forgot the time. I really didn't notice how red she was until much too late. 

At the moment it is sore and hot to the touch and she's in pain. 

Now I have heard some stories about things that might help. The only thing I have in the house right now is Greek yoghurt. I don't want to run off to the pharmacy because I would rather take care of it right now. 

Help!

Celebrity

Hey,

Seeing that this was posted seven hours back, I am genuinely wondering what you have done in the meanwhile and how your daughter is doing. Could you helps with an update when you are able to?

I'll try to be gentle here. 

Yes, yogurt can be an outstanding treatment for mild sunburn. You use it by applying a thin layer directly on the skin, where it will sooth and slowly heal the skin. Cucumbers are another very good option when you are dealing with mid sunburn. However, the situation you describe sounds severe, sorry if I misread your post and you are only panicking. 

Signs of severe sunburn or sun poisoning that indicate that your child needs immediate medical attention include:

• Bad pain
  • Blistering
  • A fever
  • Skin being very hot to the touch
  • Headaches, disorientation, vomiting and nausea
  • Dehydration

This kind of sunburn absolutely, beyond a faint shadow of a doubt, require immediate medical attention and even hospitalization. There are immediate risks but in the long-run, also know that just one incident of sunburn increases your daughter's skin cancer risk and you will need to be beyond careful in the future. 

If those symptoms do reflect what is happening, don't be here posting on the web about yogurt and go to the ER right away. 

Please do update us. 

Rosie

I gotta say I have to agree with Rosie on this one... and I really, really hope that you've at least checked in with your GP if it's as bad as you make it sounds here. I am very fair skinned and burned badly as a child once... the marks were literally visible for years and years and I've made a grand effort to stay out of the sun ever since. All that even though I actually don't tan... just burn right away. That stuff is important and nothing to play around with. There's special post-burn creams and you should definitely get one of those but also see a GP in case of fever and pain and the like. 

Thanks for your answers.

I did end up applying the yoghurt right after posting this message and it really helped with the pain and seemed to cool the skin down quite a lot as well. My daughter was complaining that the sunburn hurt and the skin absolutely did and does look red and feel hot to the touch, but there is no blistering and no fever either.

I decided to go to the pharmacy, where I got an ointment for sunburn. The pain seems to increase at night and I was definitely very concerned about the sunburn. However, the treatments that we are using now seem to be working and I am making her drink lots of water as well in case of dehydration.

Believe me, people, I feel really, really bad that this happened and I know that it shouldn't have. We just lost track of time and it happened. I will definitely be more careful in future.

Don't beat yourself up over this. I totally understand where you are coming from. I am in my fifties and don't know anyone my age who never got sunburned. I know from experience how very unpleasant it can be. Having good natural remedies on hand as well as access to the world wide web can certainly help you treat sunburn yourself, better than you could without those things. Hospitalization is sometimes required, that is true, but it does sound like you have assessed the situation well and are now doing everything that you can. Good pharmacists can be so very helpful! I started another thread to discuss natural sunburn remedies to take the pressure off off you a bit.

Hiya,

Sorry gal I really didn't mean to make you feel bad with what I said, just that many people underestimate how serious sunburn really can be and few know that it can in the wrong circumstances even be a threat to life... what you posted seemed serious enough to mention you should just go to the doctor 'cause you really want timely treatment there. If the yoghurt is working nicely for you then go for it, but do keep an eye on those symptoms 'cause they can show up even a while later, kwim?

These sunburns can be really awkward and painful. Some natural remedies can really give some relief. But first of all you have to make sure that it isn't so bad that you need to see your doctor. If your daughter is really burning up, and has red blistery markings, then it is either time to see your ped or go to the ER. But if things are just uncomfortable, then you can use the yogurt but maybe try adding cucumber as well, which has a special cooling effect and seems to drag the burn out of the skin, so to say.

Best of luck...

I can only send you my sympathy. 

Yes, yogurt can play a very big soothing role after sunburn, and will work fine in combination with some hypoallergenic and alcohol free lotions, especially aftersun lotions, if you are dealing with only a mild sunburn. Because we can't see what sunburn you are dealing with, a mild one or a severe one, we can only go off your words. Ultimately, it may be a good idea for you to Google pictures of sunburn to see what kind you are dealing with. If your daughter is fine, not in pain, and not showing other symptoms, you have probably taken the right course of action. 

I got sunburned pretty badly one time and I used yogurt and cucumber to alleviate the burning tightness of the skin and to feel some cool on my body. It helped a lot. I did take an over the counter pain reliever as well at the same time as the first stage of sunburn hurt badly and the second stage itched as hell. Anyway, I think that these natural treatments can do a lot of good and there is no reason to use commercial creams over them if they are working out well for you. With time it will improve and you just need to be extra careful in the sun from then on.

Yogurt compresses are a very effective natural way to deal with sunburn. I commend you for having chosen this, and I hope your child is fine now. I hope there will not be a next time for you, but perhaps for other readers, baking soda is another very nice remedy for sunburn. Just soak in a lukewarm bath with a generous amount of baking soda, and the skin will be soothed a great deal. This cannot be used in cases of sunburn where blisters are occurring. In that case, yes, medical attention needs to be sought.

Did you know that the bulk of a person's sun exposure usually takes place in their first 18 years of life, during childhood?

That is a very scary thought, isn't it? It also means that as parents, we have unique responsibilities to keep our kids' skin safe while they are still children, and to teach them sun safety habits to last a lifetime! I know it can happen... no matter how careful you are, time can sneak up on you and sunburn can happen. Once it has happened, it is even more important to prevent it from happening again.

So next time... dress your kid in loose and light colored clothing, use a broad spectrum sunscreen and apply it regularly in accordance with package instructions, keep out of the sun during the hottest hours, and don't forget about the sun glasses either!

Skin cancer is preventable, mostly. Make sure you play your part in keeping your kid safe.

Wow, I hadn't seen this topic before. Guest, you're right; that's a scary thought. All of parenting is pretty scary when you really think about it. There is so much that can go wrong only on the health and safety fronts, never mind emotionally! With science constantly advancing and recommendations being updated all the time, we simply don't know whose advice we are supposed to follow half the time either!

This thread is strange. On the one hand, it's true that sunburn is so much more dangerous than we used to be aware of when we were kids. I bet there's not a single one here who has not been sunburned as a kid themselves! It wasn't thought of as a big deal then, or at least not in my family. I used to use sunbeds too, as a teen. I'd never do that any more, but when you're young, you just don't think about the risks of UV rays or think they will not apply to you.

It is certainly good to be aware of the dangers. When it has already happened though, all you can do is treat sunburn the best you can and it sounds like the OP did exactly that. Remember, no matter how careful you think you are, sunburn, or other stupid things like burns from the stove, cuts with kitchen knives, teeth knocked out in rough park play... these things can happen to any of our kids. It does not make us bad parents. Just human. But yes, when you know what to look out for, you can minimize some risks.

Yoghurt can definitely help, I actually tried it myself. Also read that yoghurt can help moisturize dry skin, and can actually do much more as well, like for instance kill acne, moisturize the skin, help treat dandruff, get rid of wrinkles, smoothen the skin, and help your digestive system work optimally too.

Other things that can help sunburns are lettuce leaves, oatmeal, tea bags and aloe vera. Good luck!