Hi, I have been trying to quit smoking on numerous occasions, each time without or little success. I really want to quit, but it seems I dont have will power to do so. Now me and my husband would like to have a baby and I really need to quit. A friend has told me that Chantix (Varenicline) could help me. Could Chantix be the answer to my problem?

Hi, it is a really good thing you want to quit smoking. And now that you have an excellent reason to do so I am sure you will be successful. But, you shouldnt put all your hopes on Chantix, or its active ingredient Varenicline. It is true that Chantix is used to help people quit smoking, but there is no way you can take these pills and hope they will do all the work. You should talk to a therapist or a supportive group if you really want to achieve best results. Since this is a prescription drug I am sure your doctor will tell you all this as well. There simply isnt a magic pill that you can take and wake up as a non smoker. Quitting smoking takes some effort. I believe Chantix will get you somewhere, but you have to be determined about your goal. And one more thing, you shouldnt try to get pregnant while on Chantix. This drug might hurt your baby if you take it while pregnant.