Smoker for 30 years, quit five years ago and like a fool picked up snuff instead and dipped for five years.
This past January started my Chantix for 12 weeks. Had no desire to dip or smoke anymore so quit the Chantix. Diagnosed as type 2 diabetic in 2002 and have had excellent blood sugar control since originally diagnosed. A1C 6.2.....Beginning in March, after the Chantix, my blood sugar went out of control and has remained out of control for most of that time. Am just figuring out that Chantix has caused this. Nothing in my life has changed. I eat the same and my excercise routine is the same. The change is, I am nicotine free and the ADA says that being nicotine free will reduce your blood sugar levels. That's one of the reasons I decided to take Chantix.
Called my endocrinologist today to consult. The amount of insulin that I have to inject has gone up by a factor of 4x and my blood sugar levels are still way too high.
Any advice out there.
Thanks,
Bartlett Guy