Two weeks ago I first had an earache, followed by chills and a cold which then settled in my chest. I have had an anti-biotic(azithromycin 250 MG) which didn't change anything, and today I have started on a steroid (methylpred 4 MG) and so far there is no difference but it's early. Each day I am to take fewer pills until, after day 6, I will take just one. Does this sound like a sensible regimine to you? I have never had such a deep cough (sounds like whooping cough almost) before. I spit up yellow phlegm but just a very little at a time. Please give me your thoughts on this. I have no fever and no real pain except when I cough.

hi margaret, sorry to hear you've been poorly lately. The standard treatment for chest infections does ususally consist of antibiotics followed by a reducing dose course of steroids if a little more help is needed. Hopefully as the meds kick in the rubbish on your chest will start to loosen and you will be able to cough it up. If you start to suffer with any significant symptoms such as severe chest pain, acute shortness of breath or high temp again it would be worth while seeing a doctor even if you haven't quite finished the course of tablets, hopefully though you should start to see an improvement. hope this helps