I'm female and 19 years old. I'm use to having sharp pains in my heart or abdominal cramps due to having Lupus. This has been going on for years and I just found out I have Lupus, but last night I went to lay down to go to sleep and both my heart and my lower abdomen experienced sharp shooting pains at the same time. This happened nearly three times! I tried laying on my side, or on my back instead of my stomach to see if that would help but it didn't. Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be? My doctor said that my kidney was okay after running tests, but is this a sign that my Lupus could be getting worse, or could it be something worse and completely unrelated? Any ideas? Help is much appreciated!!

Just this evening, I experienced more sharp shooting pains, except this time it was a bit different. I was laying there on my bed reading a book. I sat up to crack my neck and then a sharp pain jolted through my heart and spine at the same time. So I tried breathing differently, and again laying differently to see if that would make it go away.

For a while I thought it had, but due to this happening I decided to get up in case it might happen again. So I was standing in the kitchen getting a cup of water when bam another shot of pain went through my heart (this time, my spine didn't hurt with it.)

Can anybody help me please? Just, any possible theories would be nice. I have no idea what this could be. Like I said, I'm a 19 yr. old female. I don't smoke or drink. I have lupus. Last year, I think I may have forgot to mention this, I found out I don't absorb vitamin D. Also, I should mention, anytime I barely move my back, it cracks. Please, if anyone has even a theory, I am immensely grateful. Please tell me. I'm already worrying people with the lupus stuff. I just want to have an idea of what this could be before I try to find out officially from a doctor. Again, if you have any idea, please don't hesitate to respond. Thank you!

Hi Smartgirl,
I also experience sharp chest and abdominal pains, especially while lying down or changing positions. I'm not sure if I have lupus, but I recently began treatment for its initial stages with Plaquinil. My MD thinks that these symptoms are likely linked to the inflammatory nature of the disease. I'm going to have an EKG in a few weeks to rule out myocardial infarction/ heart abnormality. I've noticed no change in the pain since starting the medication, but I've noticed NSAIDS like ibuprofen help the pain. I don't necessarily think that your lupus is getting worse, but maybe that the inflammation has traveled to the linings of the heart/chest/abdominal cavity. I'll keep you posted if I find out what's causing my symptoms.

Keep pursuing until you find answers. Best of luck.