I have recently been having left lower abdominal and back pain that feels like it goes into my hip and down my leg. I figured it was my bowels since I have had a colonoscopy and said I have a lazy colon. Even after enemas and laxatives the pain still comes and goes. I am afraid to go to the doctor for this because I have went for abdominal pain before (though not the same) and they just say I am constipated and to laxatives. I just didn't think that the bowels would make pain run into your hip and down your leg. Please help.

I have very similar symptoms. Did you ever get this checked? I am waiting on results of a CT scan.

This is exactly what I have and the doctors have done blood tests, x-rays,urine tests ultrasounds and scopes. They say there is nothing there but I am in a great deal of pain most of the time. did you ever find out what it was? does anyone have any ideas? A friend said it could be ligaments like when you are pregnant but I haven't been pregnant for over a year and that resulted in a miscarriage. I don't know what to do anymore any ideas or info would be great

I also had the pains describe. Lower left abdomin and back pains that ran into my hip and leg.

This might sound strange. But you should get an MRI of your spine. It turned out that I have 3 herniated discs and they are hitting nerves in such a way that it is creating this pain.

Or at least this is what my last Dr's have concluded. I will admit. The more I stratch and exercise. The pain subsides. When I slack off on the stretching and exercising.......the pain worsens.....

Ok, I have been having pain in my lower abdominal for quiet a while. It came and went. I had pain in my hip and also going down my legs. After going to the ER, doing bloodwork, ultrasound etc. they could not find anything.
4 days ago my pain in my lower back started to hurt so badly that they told me to get an MRI done. The MRI showed that I have 2 hernated discs.
So go and get a MRI - it is worth trying!!!!

THANK GOD I AM NOT ALONE!!! Why doesn't anyone know what this is? I have had this pain since I was 15 no I am almost 27!!! I had a hysterectomy least Jan at the age of 26 because I was assured that would calm the pain granted I had endometriosis however the pain is back now and no one can tell me what is wrong! I have seen physical thereapists, cat scans colonscopy, laproscopic surgery to "explore" and nothing!!! It really is ruining my quality of life and the life with my husband and 2 young kids....if anyone has answers please help!!!

I just came from my doctor with the same symptoms. I was awaken ffrom my sleep last night with the left lower abdominal pain as well as the back pain. After experiecing some numbness in my left leg this morning, I decided to call my doctor. I was immeidately given an appointment only to be seen by my doctor and told to go home and use a "heating pad" on my back and take tylenol... any other suggestions? i am thinking of calling my GYN doctor because this is not normal pain.

I have had the exact same problems for 23 years. It is getting worse and worse and has completely ruined my life. I am being considered emotional, psychologically unstable. You get that way after endometriosis, hysterectomy, colon surgery, bladder surgery, adhesion removal, and now I have degenerative disk disease and they are saying that is what is causing my leg pain and abdominal bloating a severe pain. I have had every test mentioned done and to no avail. I called my doctor crying my eyes out this morning and very tired and emotional and his exact words were, This is a psychological thing, it is all in your head and I am terminating our relationship good bye Eleanor! I was beside myself. I poured my heart out to this doctor thinking he was going to be the one to help me and now I am alone with no where to turn. I am a 47 year old self employed graphic designer and photographer I have been running my business for 24 years. I am emotionally distraught yes, but only because I can't find any relief for this constant and severely debilitating pain. I walk with a cane and drag my left leg. this makes the rest of my neck and back hurt and is a vicious cycle. If it is my disks then why don't they remove the bone fragment and give me back my life??? I have at least 30 years left to live and I can't live it like this. This is not living. I can not express how much this has affected my life. I am starting to question my self and I am a strong willed hardworking person who is usually the one to help everyone else with their problems. I will not let a doctor tell me this is psychosomatic. That is what they say when they don't have an answer. If anyone has an answer please help us. This is beyond debilitatingsevere!!

Hi everyone, I am on this site now because of lower left sided adominal pain. This along with abnormal stools has been going on for about 10 years or so. (Stools are thin, fatty, grey, float and take hours) About a year and a half ago, the pain was so bad, A ct was done by my obgyn, (Large fibriod, constant periods) This not only showed the increased size of the fibroid but also suggested I had severe diverticulitis. So, for the first time, I was admitted into the hospital, with the GI and OB fighting over what was really the problem? After a week of IV drugs, and at MRI which showed other OBGYN problems, we decided to let my colon calm down and do a hysterectomy (Partial) that was in june of 06. I immediately had GI problems, worse pain ever while using bathroom. Back to ob, back to GI etc. Several months later, I started to bleed, only blood for 3 days before I went to the hospital. While in the hospital, a colonscopy was done in which my doctor said it looked like the worse colitis he ever saw, but we had to wait for biospsy results? 7 days later, biopsy results negative. Back home, felt a little better, then started for the first time in my life, upper GI problems, vomiting, heartburn, etc. I had to actually mention this 3 times to my doctor before an upper GI was done. He stated I had at the time an infection in my espohogas, and the center of my stomach was all messed up, looked like spirals, when should be smooth. More biopsy's were obtained all negative results.

He finally agreed that he could not figure it out and sent me to another doctor, along with all his medical records. The first time I saw these medical records, I noticed the words celiac sprue. He wrote it, saw it and forgot to biopsy for it or take blood tests to chekc it?
My new GI picked up on this immeidately also, without me telling her, blood tests were positive, since he did not biopsy for it, we had to do it again. POSITIVE. So, now for about 2 1/2 months I have been on a gluten free diet. Before this, i had no energy at all, i could barely work, if i could i would work, eat something small and sleep, this went on for months. I also loss all my muscle tone and strength (I am a police officer, not good) I had almost no vitamin D, K in me at all, no fat intake, nothing. I started a strong set of precsribed vitamins and with in about 3 weeks I began to feel better, my stools were not normal again. Please everyone, Celiac is one of the most under diagnosed diseases, I never even heard of it, but ask to at least have the blood tests for it!!

The diet is very hard to do, and very expensive, and is life long no gluten. I am starting to get used to the fact that I can not just go out to dinner with friends and have something I can eat. I bring food where ever I go.

After all of this, I have no clue what is going on, I am back to where I started? I have severe bathroom problems, (unlike ever before) I am sick, shaking, vomiting all day long. My stool is fat, and white mucus for 5 days. Lower left back and adominal pain like never before. This does not fit celiac?

If anyone can lead me in the right direction, please do. For I really dont have a GI anymore, she failed after 3 months of a liver MRI we had to notifiy me of a lump in my breast. (I picked up the films myself) She also billed me for a bunch of stuff she should not have, and refuses to even answer my calls now. I have asked for my medical records 3 times and got nothing. She has contacted all my other doctors and even my breast surgeon (After finding out about the MRI no info from my primary) so now everywhere I go, I am a problem patient before i walk in the door. If i go to my primary, he will just put me in the hospital again?

I have a very high pain tolerance, but i dont know how many days of this i can take. My appointment with the breast surgeon is on monday, obviously i am stressed about that and want to make it. I also have a thyroid nodule which is the kind most likely to be cancer, and by the way, celiac makes that posibility 23 times higher. (I have waited 4 months for that appointment)? I have given up in the health care system. I am close to just giving up on all doctors, please help. CD

I was just wondering whether the pain any of you experienced was extremely deep? I'm 17 years old and 54lbs overweight (and working on it...) and I get a pain really deep down in my lower left back/hip area (in a very specific place that I cannot precisely pin point in words) which sometimes moves around the left side of my abdomen. I get it in sporadic bursts, between a week to a month at a time, but it always goes away after a few days. The doctor told me it was a ligament pain after just prodding me around for about 30 seconds. He gave me Dicloflex Sodium and told me the pain would 'ease in time' after I take a tablet. It works, but I can hardly take these pills for the rest of my life! Plus his rather speedy examination hasn't left me feeling very secure. My pain varies in level and I sometimes feel as if the muscles in the left side of my abdomen are in spasm during the bout. I'm hoping this will eventually heal altogether; and if doesn't within the year I may have to demand more substantial tests because it is ruining my quality of life. How can I lose weight if this pain stops me from excersising?? I wish everyone luck in getting their pain fixed.

sorry everyone,

I am not sure if I can help. All I can say is it IS hard to figure out what is going on. To stand up for yourself without going over the top. Sometimes you need to look at the possibility that the pain might be from several different things. If you are over weight (I am) get to exercising. 30min a day. You don't have to be a body builder just plain old walking to start out. Even if you go slow and easy and meander around the track that is ok as long as you are moving and exercising try stretching as well. It can't hurt at this point. Manage your symptoms to the best of your ability. Try to use heating pads, check your mattress make sure it is hard or soft enough take warm showers and try to tuck your bottom under when you lift anything - this will help with pain. Then look at medications to help if you can. tylenol or tylenol 3 maybe even benedryl. Only use the prescription medications if you absolutely have to. When you go to the doctor to discuss your medical situation here are several tips:

1. Take someone else, you don't mind knowing your medical history and is reasonably bright, with you to the doctors. It is hard to comprehend what is being said to you when you are the patient.
2. write down questions for the doctor prior to going. Maybe even give a copy to the person comming with you. That way you won't forget an important question.
3. Always be polite. Remember this is a proffesional atmosphere much like the office. So don't use curse words, yell or cry. Expect the same from everyone who works there.
4. Never put a Doctor, nurse or aid down. If you have a complaint with someone who works there go through the proper channels if you need to report them. Ask to speak with thier supervisor.
5. Medicine is not an exact science. Doctors/nurses/Aids are all human and make stupid human mistakes.
6. Always ask for an explanation of why they are doing what they are doing. Take an active role in your health.

Try smoking Marijuana for the pain, anxiety and stress. It has been proven very effective time and time again. It is also proven to be non addictive, safe (you have to smoke 7 pounds an hour for 24 hours straight to overdose which is impossible) And depending on the place you live, legal and an accepted medication. You should see an internalist, and a pain specialist. Your doctor sounds lazy and arrogent for not refering you to someone who can help you when he was at a loss for a diagnosis.

I have pain in my left side. it goes into the left side of my back..painful very hard to walk with hurts to lay on my back and my stomache..my dr. gave me antiobiotics for an infection. Since i am pregnant, they dont seem to be working yet..so if anyone has any answers to what i should do next that would be great. bc the drs. just do the sme thing everytime i go and dont tell me anything and say nothing is there ..yet at least 2 or 3 days a week im crouched over in a ball in awful pain..

I have lower left back pain, along with lower abdominal pain. Sometimes lower right back pain with lower right abdominal pain..not together, its always one side or the other, but what finally helped me within 20 or 30 minutes of taking it is a med. called "Back Aid" its cheap so i had my doubts, but OMG this pill is a miracle for my symptoms. I bought it at wal-mart and cvs before.. hope this helps someone.

I've had a lot of similar pains and stool problems for years now and recently I was diagnosed with celiac disease, an intolerance to gluten. You may want to get tested for this.