Hi, I have a problem with my two years old daughter. She is showing some unusual behavior. I have noticed that every time she feels sleepy she starts to rock her body. This is very disturbing for me to watch. I wonder if there is something wrong with my girl. What could be the reason for this child rocking all of the time?

Hi, body rocking is a known condition that falls under the group of rhythmic disorders. For most of the children this is not a permanent problem. Young children are showing this kind of behavior because it reminds them of the rocking they experienced while they were in the womb. It helps them to calm down. Body rocking and all other forms of rhythmic disorder are usually related to awake-sleep transitions. Children stop to act this way after the age of five. If the body rocking continues after this age, than something else might be the problem. There is a small possibility that body rocking is a sign of autism, but this is rarely the case. However, because of this you should talk to a doctor about your concerns. A specialist will assess your daughter's condition and help you deal with any situation.

It is probably just your daughter's way of calming & comforting herself and getting ready to sleep. I've seen other toddlers do it too.

Try this: when your daughter is sleepy and she starts rocking, hold her on your lap and rock her (either in a rocking chair, or just in your arms). Then put her down for her nap or bed. This might help her stop rocking herself. Of course, it may also mean she'll want to be cuddled all the time before bed, but not too many parents would complain about that!!!!

My ten year old still rocks every time she gets sleepy. I was told that she will grow out of it but I can't sit in my living room because her rocking disturbs me. I'm open to any suggestions. Please help me to understand if I need to take my child to a doctor.