HI I WAS DATING  MY EXBOYFRIEND FOR 2 YEARS AND WE BROKE UP IN 2010 THAN I GOT MARRIED TO MY HUSBAND IN 2012 AND I GOT CHECK FOR chlamydia and gonorrhea AND I GOT MEDS FOR IT MY HUSBAND IS IN THE ARMY AN EVERYTIME HE LEAVE ON BREAK TO COME HOME HE GETS CHECK BY THE ARMY PEOPLE WHEN HE RETURNS TO THE ARMY FOR STD AND HE  NEVER HAS NOTHING....BUT I THINK I HAVE HAD IT FOR 3YEARS AN ME AND MY HUSBAND BEEN TRYING TO HAVE A BABY WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO HAVE KIDS?? AND MY HUSBAND DONT NO I HAD  chlamydia and gonorrhea BETTER YET I DIDNT NO TILL I GOT CHECKED...,AND JUST CAUSE HE GOT CHECK FOR IT DOES IT MEAN HE MIGHT STILL CAN HAVE IT CAUSE I BEEN HAVING SEX WITH HIM FOR 2YEARS AND DIDNT NO IT AND IM 21 AND HE IS 20.......SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH AN ANSWER

Community Administrator

Chlamydia and gonorrhea are both STDs that don't usually have any symptoms. That means some people have them for years before finding out, either by chance or when symptoms do start showing. Often, these STDs come from a previous relationship. There is no way of knowing which partner gave the STDs to whom — unless one of you was a virgin before you got together.

Both gonorrhea and chlamydia can be treated relatively easily, with antibiotics. Both partners will need treatment to prevent reinfection. Ask your doctor to check for Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, which can be a result of both the STDs you mention, too.