Users comments and reviews on article I Caught my Child Smoking Marijuana (Pot) Again by Debbie Strange

What a great article! I had no idea that you could actually buy a home test for drugs. Do you have any resources you'd recommend? Thanks!! :-)

This is very harsh, I really believe that grouding them for such a long period of time IS NOT THE solution and the resentment to be faced by this sort of punishment is simply not worth the possible repurcussions.

As a Father and once a teen, I would rather my child be edecated as far as the possible long term affects.

My son has always been on the honor roll and maintained a 3.9 GPA throughout high school and doing great in college.. I am very aware of his marijuana use and my son is at the age where he can make his own descisions now.

Marijuana is one drug im least concerned about as a parent. forcing harsh punishment will lead to resentment, and in alot of children ultimately escalating there drug use and additional experimenting.. Why? Because of suggestions like this. So my kid can rebel, and make even stupider descision out of spite? I dont think so, get with the program that grounding sh*t doesnt work and without merit causes more problems then its worth.

I am 35 and when I was a kid my mother tried to use the same type of advice which only caused me to rebel and want to get high as often as possible because I was always stressed out by rules, discipline, interrogation and suspicion, after a joint it was pure peace.
All the phycologists and shrinks I know now smoke a joint after work to relieve the stress that builds up during the day after hearing peoples problems all day long. Maybe you could give that a try.
In my opinion I think there are 3 ways to go about dealing with a kid who is smoking weed.
1. As suspicious a cop - as in the doctors example
2. As a cool, trustworthy Mom or Dad
3. Somewhere in the middle of 1 and 2 closer to 2

Well,you have really mentioned very good and noticeable points in your article regarding marijuana after going through with your article I am very much clear about marijuana as I have some confusing related to that drug but as you have clear out every thing in your post thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us.
Tia Smith

Premier LA Collective

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hi there, I do agree with you that I was somewhat confused myself so I am glad that this was posted. Thank you for sharing all of it as well

Well once you or your kid or who ever start smoking marijuana and hang out with other potheads, most likely that they will be convinced marijuana isn't harmfull. Infact cigarettes have been proved more harmfull so it would be a great idea if you havn't already to not smoke infront of your kids.

This has got to be the worst article for parenting advice i have ever read! Grounding does not work.If you put your child on lock down he will only rebel more and you will be pushing him farther away. By doing this you are shutting down all communication. This day and age we need open communication with our children. I for one want my child to feel safe enough to open up and come to me when something is wrong. Which in my case he has.By doing what your article reads ,you are not stopping anything, only causing your child to hide it more in every possible way he can.

Marijuana, when mentioned it arouses different thoughts to different people. Some see it as the evil drug that hurts millions
with addiction and harm whilst others see it as a great friends. I see it as the flowering bud of a friendly green plant that has done harm to none
and has the ability to help billions. This simple bud not only has the ability to relieve pain as most know, studies show it can help with
Alzheimer's disease, arthritis, asthma, glaucoma, neuron growth, lung cancer, breast cancer, HIV/AIDS, brain cancer,
hypertension, depression, and glaucoma and more than 100 others.

With marijuana it's a fickle issue as for years and years society has told you that marijuana is BAD! Is it really? They tell
you that it's an addictive substance, that it's a gateway drug, or that it makes you insane or violent. These are
all completely false. First, saying that marijuana will lead you to cocaine, heroin, or other harder drugs is an absurd notion. Using that logic
the goverment is telling everyone that they have no willpower and can't come to the easy conclusion that instead of hopping to the
deadly and horribly addictive drugs that we stick with perfectly pleasurable and NON-addictive marijuana; which in your entire life how many
cases have you heard of people losing their jobs or ending up on the streets because of their terrible addiction to marijuana? None, studies
show that only about 1 out of 100 go to stronger drugs. Plus there have never been any legitimate recorded violent outbursts that were
attributed to marijuana.

So, if marijuana isn't bad then why would it be illegal? Well, the criminalization of marijuana is drenched with racism and ignorance. They
felt that minorities on marijuana would be more inclined to have their way with white women wandering about or other violent crimes. Then we can jump to the famed War on Drugs, which includes
marijuana, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, and otherwise-legal pharmaceuticals if they are obtained by illegal means or used for non-medicinal purposes.
We all know about it and if it were to remove marijuana from it's list I could agree with it. When Nixon started this "war" he commissioned a study of
marijuana called the Shafer Report. At the end of the study they concluded
"[T]he criminal law is too harsh a tool to apply to personal possession even in the effort to discourage use. It implies an overwhelming indictment of the behavior which we believe is not appropriate. The actual and potential harm of use of the drug is not great enough to justify intrusion by the criminal law into private behavior, a step which our society takes only 'with the greatest reluctance."
Now why was it included in this war or even kept illegal if this was discovered? Well in the 70's there was a little incident called the Vietnam war which many people
protested against and what particular substance do you think the 70's protesters liked to indulge upon? Marijuana of course, so they would have a way to arrest
protesters! Since then it's been nothing but societal igorance and stupid politicians.

I was going to reply to this preposterous crock of c**p here but I'll just post the Newspaper Article I wrote regarding marijuana.

NOTE: This is an extremely rough draft which is missing a bit and is pre-editing, it's not the published one.

I think that we have a generation of parents that have given up on disciplining our kids. We are afraid to set standards of expectations. We feel if we can't beet them join them. No wonder our kids think that anything goes. I am not advocating beating up our kids, I am rather saying we need to help them realize some cause and effect. Contacting the police or other authorities might be the right thing for one and not for the other. Grounding might work for some and not the other. Even the possibility of the teen having to find alternative living accomodations if they refuse to engage in some help and or cooperation in dealing with the issue. I believe in communication but if the teen refuses to adjust behavior and adamently is pushing ahead then more painful or difficult decisions have to be made. I don't just think that trying to convince them of the longterm effects is necessarily effective.

What a terrible article. How harsh and strict do you have to be with your children? Especially over such a little thing as pot. "They will most certainly hate you for this, but it is for their own good"
Do you really want your child to hate you? Its not for their good! How will you be able to build a healthy relationship with them afterwards? I'd rather my daughter smoke than be doing cocaine or herion. Just be glad their smoking natural things, not inducing nasty toxic chemicals.

Your information regarding the effects of pot are very biased and incomplete. If I was one of your kids I wouldn't only hate you, but probably just give up dealing with you. Despite what you may think, your teenager probably doesn't need you.

weed should be legal its just as dangerous as cigaretes or beer, wine, vodka etc so just legalize it

I have a friend that's grades improved after he started doing pot.
Me, I had no interest in school and was failing before I started.

no this is horrible. my parents have caught me 3 months ago and ever since i feel like dying be because i cant see any of my friends anymore. i don't get along with anyone and no one gets along with me. u would rather have a happy kid smoking then a kid who can never be happy. i am completly alon. the best you can do is enchourage your kid to do well in school and be happy. there is no light for me