I have 25 years and apicoectomy must be done with my first molar. I had so terrible pain last months that certain it was the only way. Off course, my doctor wanted to try this before extraction. He told me something about apicoectomy. What he didn’t tell me are complications after that.

Possible complication with apicoectomy is perforation to the maxillary sinus. Usually it may be done while performing apicoectomy on maxillary premolar and molar teeth. Goal to each surgeon is to evaluate possible complications as a result of these perforations. In some study, 472 apicoectomies were performed in 440 patients. Perforations occurred in 10.4% of teeth, 23% in molars, 13% in second premolars and 2% in first premolars. As you can see, there is possible risk, not so high, but certainly there is some. If surgeon has a plenty of experience the risk is evidenced as minimal. Also, people afraid of acute or chronic sinusitis, but in this study there were not recorded any example of this kind of complications after apicoectomy. It was concluded that apicoectomy, no matter of this risks should be considered before contemplating extraction. This apicoectomy carries out using a meticulous surgical technique and proper postoperative care.