Hi, 4 days after having a wisdom tooth removed on the lower left part of my mouth I began noticing an odd taste. The taste lingered throughout the day
driving me mad. My wife suggested it was from the tooth being pulled.
I placed a piece of gauze in the tooth socket and pulled it out and the smell was horrible.

Being the weekend I have no access to my dentist, but am very, very concerned about this. I have no pain now, the night before I did, but for the last 20 hours no pain.

I followed all but one set of directions, which was to rinse with salt and warm water the first 2 days after the tooth being pulled, so I do not know if this
is the reason why, anybody have an idea???

Hey there! I'm 13 and I got all 4 of mine removed on Monday the 17(may) and I started experiencing my first taste of the nasty ooze yesterday. I've been doing my research and It seems like it is rotting food and dead cells(blood, skin, tissues) getting stuck in the stitches and in the sockets and the gums. It tastes so gross! I've been swishing with salt water and diluted mouthwash. It does not burn like some people say it does. The ooze feels like it is spraying out a little. So I end up putting suction on it all the time with my tongue. I know this is bad for it though. So try not to. From what I've read, the best thing to do at this point is swish with a tiny amount of Hydrogen Peroxide and gently brush your teeth with baking soda. Then gargle with salty water with a little mouthwash in it. Doing this routine after I eat seems to be helping considerably. I still have a little ooze, and unfortunately the bad breath that goes with it, but it is much better than yesterday when I just put up with it. It oozed every minute or so before I started the routine and immediately after the fist session, the ooze stopped, only happening every couple of hours. Which is much for bearable. Hope this helps and happy healing! :D

P.S. Just type "Wisdom Teeth Taste" into google. You will get TONS of info!:P

I had my wisdom teeth removed earlier this year and had a huge problem with bad odor. It was bad enough to wake me up several times at night and make me gag occasionally. I finally followed the advice that I found online to go buy an oral syringe, which I got free from a pharmacist. I flushed the tooth socket out with water repetitively from different angles in my mouth. It was entirely disgusting how much rotting food was stuck in the socket. It took me about two days of periodic flushing to get it all out, and the odor disappeared.

Hello!I had a wisdom tooth pulled last week (Tuesday), and all was fine. Two or three days ago, I started experiencing pain. Yesterday and today, I had the WORST taste in my mouth. It made me want to puke... I saw my dentist today. When they took my tooth out, they put this green, grass-like medicine in the socket. It's supposed to dissolve on its own. Today marks 6 days that I got it removed, and it didn't dissolve. My dentist removed the medicine and there was a horrible odour. Turns out I have dry socket!That occurs when the layer of blood that forms a clot after the tooth is removed, breaks away or disintegrates. She did an irrigation and cleaned it out. She put me on antibiotics and said that it should get better. If you have a disgusting taste in your mouth and/or pain, go see your dentist. This is an infection that can cause serious issues.

Hope this helped! :) 

You have to swish with warm salt water and get the food out of the pockets. If you haven't done that yet I'm sure thats what the cause of the order. After a few day of not doing that the food starts to rot and smell nasty. When you do it you will see all the food pieces that come out.

Hi everyone. I got all four of my impacted wisdom teeth taken out on the 7th. My husband wasnt told that I was supposed to sleep with my head elevated the first night and I had so much blood that it was all over my pillow. :( I was in so much pain for the first week that I could barely talk, could not open my mouth even wide enough to eat an egg, couldn't stay awake longer than maybe an hour or two. I was on amoxicillin, hydocodone and ibprophen. I was finally able to go back to work on 16th but I am still experiencing pain in my lower left area. I clean my sockets with a medicated rinse from my doctor and a syringe. All of my sutures have fallen out and the bleeding has stopped, so now I can open my mouth fully! I still cant take much air in my mouth but I am finally getting to sleep with no pain meds! I am kind of upset because they did not tell me or my husband that I would have black areas in my mouth. I am eating regularly a little at a time, but food is still getting suck in my socets almost two weeks later and it relieves ALOT of  pain. It still hurts just a little bit to brush but on the upper hand my tops never gave me any issues no pain at all. About the 12th I was going crazy in pain. I was crying and my head was hurting as well as my jaw and entire left side and it was no fun. Called my dentist the next day and she was like just clean the area with a syringe. But it was funny because I finally got to sleep at 5am and went to sleep sitting up and woke up fine. As of today I cant sleep on my left side without pain and will be calling dentist in the morning.

Thanks for the info using the solution with baking soda and peroxide. I'm going to try this out for rinsing my mouth.

Well hey I have a massive pain under a tooth bottom left side right behind the I tooth I have an occasional weird smell but a terrible taste. My guess is either an abscessed tooth or the bottom of it is rotting out. But I don't know because 1 I am not a doctor and I definitely don't have the degree bc I'm only 18 and 2 because I tried to wiggle the tooth but there's no movement. So I don't really know, all I know is it hurts terribly and I need advise. Is there anyone that could know and I need it soon or im gonna do a at home extraction with a pair of pliers. Lol so it would be much appreciated.

This is the same person who typed the comment I'm replying to right now um I also haven't slept for 3 days straight so if I could get answers about my problem soon it would help me a lot because I am still in school please and thank you

I am so glad I found this! I got my upper left removed 5 days ago. I went for my check up yesterday and they said all was fine except for one stitch that they removed because it was in the way of brushing... Well since then I've had two stitches unravel and end up on my tongue, plus THE SMELL has arrived! I brushed my teeth tonight and the area began bleeding again... looks like I might need to pay my dentist a third visit :-/

All that gets fixed with clove oil in the socket

I had the same problem. Pain , nasty taste and odor after my left bottom wisdom tooth was pulled. It is literally the most disgusting and embarrassing thing to experience. As I was reading through this page. Someone posted that they used a syringe to flush out the hole socket. I ate carrots earlier and felt a piece of carrot stuck. I freaked out and that's when I googled and found this page. I grabbed an insulin syringe and flushed with both water and hydrogen peroxide. It worked and I was able to get out all of the nasty rotting food out. I found that Hydrogen Peroxide brought the food to the surface very quickly because of the bubbling effect it has as it cleans a wound, so I flushed the socket about 15 times. Also of you have stitches have them removed, it is easier for food to get stuck between the stitches. I actually went to the dentist yesterday because I thought it was infected. When they pulled out the stitches that horrible smell came with it. YUCK!!!! So use a syringe to flush flush flush out the nasty food. Be careful not to hurt your opening with the needle. Simply draw up the hydrogen peroxide and place as close to the hole as possible. Flush the hole and Walla!!! The smell and food will surface. Hope this helps.

I used a dropper, not a syringe, as it is all I had at the time. It is from a cosmetic serum and it came with the dropper which doesn't necessarily shoot out with lots of pressure but it works. I used this and hydrogen peroxide to squeeze/drop with as much pressure as I could into the wound, then I twisted a q tip in the wound, SO GROSS, don't smell it. And now I don't have such a bad taste in my mouth. It helped. I hope this helps someone. An oral syringe would be better, I don't know what exactly it's called.

I've done this several times but no food or particles ever come out

Instead of using a syrince to flush out the food use a plastic water bottle like Dasani or Arrowhead and stab a thumbtack in the cap. When you squeeze the bottle it lets out a tiny pressurized stream if water. Flush it out after every meal. When it is clean it will heal properly and not get infected.