I am 15 years old and I live in New York. I have done a lot of research about confidentiality laws in NY concerning minors and they always state that the doctor is not permitted to tell the parents if I have had sex or even if I have an abortion. I have friends who have had been tested and treated for STDs, even had abortions and all their doctors told them there not allowed to notify the parents with out their permission. I went to the obgyn today and he told me he had to tell my mom I had sex to the point where I was hysterical crying begging him not to tell. He told me he made an exception for me and had never done this before and wouldnt tell my mom. Isnt this wrong? Isnt he by law not permitted to tell my parents unless I give him permission?

BY LAW he cannot tell.

YOUR FRIENDS probably went to PLANNED PARENTHOOD.

REGULAR OBGYNS do not do abortions, usually only "aboriton clinics" do those, and they understand the law.

You should go to another doctor. Consider going to planned parenthood!

SOME mean doctors WILL tell, because they figure that YOU cannot do anything, because you are so young.

You may have gone to a religious doctor, that could be another problem.

ALSO, ask your friends which doctors that they see =)

Thank you so much for responding. I dont know what to do, if I ask my mom to switch doctors shes going to want a reason, and I'm supposed to go back to him in 3 months. I want to talk to him about it, but I'm afraid this will anger him and he'll tell my mom. What can I say to him without making him mad because I can't have anyone find out but I'm very upset about what he did and hes probably doing it to other girls. DO you have any suggestions ?

YES, you could make a CONFIDENTIAL report to the local health authority. I am not sure who that would be in your state.

He should not be doing this at all.

Does your mom drive you to doctors appointments? IF not, you could always just go to planned parenthood with whomever drives you.

They do accept insurance, but if you do not want to use it they do offer free and low cost services to teens. Usually it is free.

You could tell your mom that you would rather have a 'female' gender doctor, because the man makes you feel uncomfortable.

Send me a PM, I will send you my email address.

I will try and find out who you can contact to make a confidential/private complaint about him.

It makes me worry about other teens too.