I've been reading this article about how congenital coronary artery anomalies can lead to death in young patients and I was wondering if this is true.

The article said that this mostly happens to athletes, at some point, nobody knows what determines this point in time, they just collapse and die all of a sudden.

I'm a bit scared to be honest because I myself am an athlete, maybe not a professional one but I still consider myself to be very good at what I am doing. I hope that there is someone out there who can tell me more about congenital coronary artery anomalies in young patients.

Hi there Runner,

Sudden and unexpected cardiac deaths in young people are rare, but tragic events in competitive athletes assume high public profile, and that unavoidably raise questions regarding the underlying pathological causes and clinical strategies to prevent these catastrophes.

Various pathological investigations have reported that several structural cardiovascular abnormalities are responsible for sudden death in young athletes, but hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is the most common disease in U.S. autopsy-based series, and right ventricular cardiomyopathy predominates in young Italian athletes. Nevertheless, congenital coronary artery anomalies (CCAA) are frequently found (in about 20% of cases), and they represent the second most frequent disease responsible for athletic field deaths..

Hi Runner,

What Stradivarius is trying to say is that it all depends of which type of anomaly you have. 

Timely identification of patients with congenital coronary artery anomalies also raises the question of clinical management. Though it is clear that not all individuals with such anomalies are at risk of sudden cardiac death and that many patients have lived a full life and died of unrelated causes, it is also well known that these malformations are among the most common reasons for sudden and unexpected death in young individuals, particularly during sporting activities. It is very important that you have this diagnosed early.

Hi guys, You are not making this any easier for me. I didn't think that this was that serious, I mean, I knew people died from but I wasn't a 100% sure that athletes are really at that big danger because of it. Now you got me worried. I haven't been diagnosed with any congenital coronary artery anomaly, I understand that these should be found out at the very birth but sometimes it is not noticeable. I don't know, you made me more scared then I was before and I was hoping for the exact opposite thing to happen. Well, thank you anyway.

Hey there. I need to notice that this is a very good topic. Luckily, deaths caused by this in young patients are very rare. But that doesn’t meant that it can not happen. If you already have some of these anomalies it is very important to know which type you have. After this, I am sure that your doctor will be able to tell you more – about the treatment, about all possibilities, etc. It is very important for you not to lose your faith in those conditions, and I do know that we don't make this easy for you, but for someone like we are, it is not that easy to tell more about this. 

Hello there. It can cause death. It is rare, but it can happen and you need to be prepared to it. Those sudden and unexpected cardiac death can happen to athletes and I am pretty sure that we all do know this. We see all the time those football players who died on the field. A lot of pathological investigations have reported that several structural cardio abnormalities are actually responsible for sudden death in the young athletes. On the other hand, hypertrophic cardio is the most common disease in the US. Now, think once again how rare this is. Good luck.

I remember when I was 17 years old one boy from my school died because of the congenital coronary artery anomalies. He was rugby player and he was playing for our local school. Nobody didn't know that this boy is sick, at all. But he was. One day, while the boys were playing the game, he just died on the field. I still cry when I remember this situation. It was really sad and we needed a lot of time to recover from this shock because we all saw him dying. After this case, I never have heard that anyone died from it. But it can happen.