Hi! I have mole on my neck. Also I have small moles on my back. I heard that two different ways for cosmetic mole removal. Can you explain me methods for mole removal?

Hi! You are right. There are two main methods used for mole removal. Moles can either be shaved off of the surrounding skin or excised with the underlying and surrounding skin and then stitched. For shave excision, the skin around and under the mole is injected with lidocaine anesthetic. A small sharp scalpel blade, often lubricated with mineral oil, is used to precisely remove the raised and pigmented mole tissue while leaving a cut surface that is flush with the surrounding skin. Mole regrowth and re-pigmentation occur more commonly in young patients and may result in the desire for re-removal. Because of these limitations in shave excision of moles, excision of moles with the skin underlying them is sometimes recommended. Elliptical excision may be recommended if there is a high suspicion of melanoma. It is also useful when the risk of mole regrowth, re-pigmentation or uneven skin contours with shave excision make it a better choice. Elliptical excision is more time and resource intensive than shave excision. It entails more risk of bleeding and infection. Even when the patients are properly chosen, the results of cosmetic mole removal are very technique dependent.