Today I heard at school that moles can cause cancers. My father has a lot of moles on his whole body. He doesn’t complain on them and I am too worried to ask him because I don’t want to upset him but does this mean he will get cancer? Please, tell me I need to know! Than you

Hello there! I think you have misinterpreted what you heard at school or somebody gave you false information. Moles are harmless collections of pigmented cells on our skin called melanocytes. They can appear alone or in groups. They can be found on the torso, face, arms and legs but also in stranger locations scalp, under nails, in the armpits and around your genitals. The number of moles you have may constantly change. It is important to know your moles because they can become cancerous. We should check them for any changes or abnormalities. This is a good way to notice the possible skin cancer called melanoma which may begin around the mole, but can also arise in areas of normal pigmentation.