Hi, my 18 month old son got a rash around his mouth a few days ago. It seems to be very painful to him, he doesn’t stop crying and when I try to feed him with a bottle he refuses – the bottle is hurting his rash. It looks like a group of little white spots around the corners of his mouth. What is the cause of that and can you give me some advice on what to do and how to help him?

It’s not unusual for the babies to develop Cheilitis or mouth rash. There can be two causes: the irritation caused by the use of the soother, or the fungus infection caused by some fungi like candida albicans. You shouldn’t worry too much about it, its nothing serious, you should take him to your family doctor or the pediatrician and they will give him some antifungicide like nyastatin or miconasole and the rash will be gone in few days.