Hello there. My aunt Nina found a beautiful dog on the street a few days ago. She is trying to find the owner, but without success so far. He was really sad when she found him, and she couldn’t leave him on the street. She is taking a really good care of him. He is half-breed dog, and the vet told her that he is between 9 and 12 years old. He has some rash, and the vet gave her something to treat it. It is ok so far, it is disappearing. But, I was wondering, are there any food that can help prevent skin rash in older dogs? 

Hi. 

I am always incredibly pleased to hear those stories about adopting street dogs and taking care of them. Your aunt is a good person, I wish there are more people like her.

And to answer your question: Don’t worry about food influencing his skin rash. The vet would tell your aunt if the food was the actual cause of the rash. It’s known as allergy, so some dogs might have reactions to specific food, and then dieting is obliged. But otherwise, it’s completely unnecessary and as far as I know there isn’t some specific kind of food which can prevent skin rash, just feed him healthy as you normally would and stick to the prescribed medications.

Because your aunt’s dog is examined by vet and he/she haven’t told anything about that rash, it would be correct to make an assumption that the rash isn’t caused by any kind of food allergy.

As Mia said, people need to alter their pet’s diet only if rash is caused by allergy to certain foods. Only in those cases you need to feed your dog hypoallergenic foods (depending what is the source of an allergy).

So, for now, your aunt can feed her new friend whatever she wants. I would recommend homemade raw food if she has enough time for preparing the meals.

Hey there. I am a huge animal lover, so I am really happy when I hear story like this one. It is so nice to give some pets home, because they don’t have it or they lost it somehow. It is amazing thing that your aunt visited the vet immediately. If this rash disappeared so fast, than you should not be worried about it, because I do think that it was nothing serious. But, in the future, tell her to feed her with raw food, like other members told you. I think that this is the best option, and in future, I think that she won’t have any problems with rash. At least, I hope so :)

Hello guys. According to everything that you wrote up there, this rash is probably just a reaction on his life before she found him, his street life. I am pretty sure that he caught something, and that was caused by an allergic reaction. I don’t think that it is anything serious, but it is true that the rash can be caused by some food. Maybe he ate something on the street? We don’t know, and we will never find out.

A raw food is my choice as well. Give him a lot of raw meat, and later you can try to give him raw vegetables, just to see his reaction. 

Hello, I am quite positive that what are you searching for is raw meat diet. It’s the best diet for dogs, and pets generally. I started to feed my dog like this since last year and you wouldn’t believe how much better he looks and acts. It’s their natural food, it benefits them in many ways. In the last year he didn’t have any rash, but truth to be told, he has never had any, not even before this diet. But I have a friend whose dog always had problems with rashes, and he started feeding him like this and from that moment on it completely stopped. So, my vote goes for raw food.

My dog had a rash only this one time when he was 5 years old. But the rash was very persistent, I couldn’t get rid of it for months. That’s when my friend told me I should try changing my dog’s feeding habits. I tried all sorts of gels, creams and stuff lke that and when nothing worked I decided to try with the food.

They told me I should feed him with: Vegetables and Fruits, Rice Milk, Gluten Free Whole Grains, Fish And Flax Seeds, Turmeric Tea, Olive Oil and Raw Honey. Those are the 7 best anti skin rash foods. And it worked.

Well, in this case, gel, spray or cream can not help you. It is waste of your money, so avoid it. In this case, you should change eating habits for this dog, because I totally do believe that he ate something while he was outside. Changing his eating habits is something that she should try, of course, if she is planning to keep him at her place. There are a lot of guides for this, and it is not that hard to learn a dog about it. Actually, it is easy. So once again, avoid creams and give him raw food to see what is going to happen.