Hi, I'm a 27 year old athlete and recently I got this rash, redness and itch between my toes that I can't get rid of. Some of my friends say they had the similar symptoms that this infection is caused by yeast and they recommended that I use canasten to treat it. I'm not sure what exactly canasten is. I listened to their advice and went to the pharmacy, asked for canasten there but they said that I need doctor’s prescription. What does canasten contain and are there any side effects?

Canasten is a well known medicine used for treating skin yeast infections of all kinds. Mostly it is used to treat the infections with candida albicans the yeast commonly found on our skin and it usually doesn’t make any problems if everything is working perfectly, if the skin is normal in consistency and if our immune system is working like it should. Candidiasis usually happens in areas of skin which are moist and warm which gives yeast a very friendly environment for growth. Canasten kills yeast and it is very effective in doing so. It contains two main active ingredients clotrimazole and hydrocortisone both in 1% concentrations. The reason why you couldn’t get it without prescription is because hydrocortisone is a synthetic hormone which can have various adverse effects if used improperly, most of people usually don’t have any side effects from usage of canasten but still, you need a doctor to monitor you just as a precausion. You shouldn’t use it on areas of broken skin and on large areas of skin, also if you had an allergic reaction to any of canasten’s ingredients you should avoid using it. If the affected area of the skin is on vulva, vagina, penis, scrotum or around the anus you should be extra careful and should consult your doctor. The worst that can happen with using canasten is that the rash might not go away or that it might get worse than it previously was. In that case you should stop using it and report that to the doctor to give you an alternative treatment. In any case it is necessary to go to your GP to at least get a prescription for it. Hope that information I gave you will be useful, good luck and if you have any further questions be free to post them.