Another thread here had me thinking that we should start a more general topic about natural help or remedies for sunburn. Sunburn is really damaging, yes. Only experiencing it once ups your skin cancer risk exponentially, so of course the focus should be on prevention rather than on the cure. Let's be realistic though and recognize that yes, most people get sunburned at least once in their lives and when that does happen they are in dire need of natural remedies, hopefully using things they already have in the house, that can take the edge off the symptoms of sunburn and encourage speedy healing. 

Want to share your best tips?

I am the started of that other thread you mentioned and I appreciate that you started a new one, though I will continue replying on the other one as well.

I have found out about quite a few natural sunburn remedies since my daughter got sunburned, and it is pretty amazing to find how many options really do exist. Potato paste made just with blended potatoes, cucumbers, milk compresses, cornstarch, tea, oatmeal and mint can all help. Yes, the yoghurt we ended up using seems to be doing the trick too.

I don't know whether any of these are better or worse compared to the pharmaceutical ointment that we also ended up getting, but the fact is that nobody prepares to get sunburn or you would avoid it. Knowing what household ingredients to use can really help in those situations.

You're right, we've all been there and done that. 

There are a few options for treating sunburn naturally that haven't yet been mentioned on this thread, probably because they go somewhat further than just using natural ingredients that you already have lying around your house. These sunburn remedies include:

• Witch hazel, which is also well known as something that soothes acne
  • Aluminium acetate. This is particularly good for that itching stage you will experience as your skin starts to heal from the sunburn. It also keeps your skin hydrated, and you know how much dryness and peeling you can experience during the healing stages of acne!

Hi there!

I know this is not a natural remedy but I encountered the same problem and saw that some people on the web were saying you can take ibuprofen (orally) to reduce inflammation as well as obviously helping with the pain. This is for people who can generally take ibuprofen safely of course, but personally I found that it helped quite a bit so I thought I would share in case it might benefit someone else here as well. But I can also include another tip. I have heard that you can put freshly made tea on it, but of course it needs to cool down first. The tannin in the tea will help draw the heat out, a bit like cucumber and things.

Oh, there are two topics? Good! I'll offer some general tips for people who encounter sunburn here:

1. As already noted on the other thread, sunburn can appear seemingly suddenly. No amount of redness is desired. People, that is the first sign of sunburn and if you stay in the sun if you are even a little red, it will get much worse. Get out of the sun as soon as you notice redness and preferably beforehand. In fact, stay out of the sun during the hottest hours. 
  2. Use a lotion that is hypoallergenic and does not contain any irritating ingredients such as alcohol, and if possible containing vitamin E to help the skin heal, in royal amounts on a very frequent basis. 
  3. Make sure that you stay hydrated. Keep water, iced tea, water with a little lemon, or whatever at your side all the time and make yourself drink as much as possible. It WILL help!

In addition, though not a natural remedy, it is very important to take an anti-inflammatory medication as soon as you notice that you are suffering from a sunburn! Ibuprofen or another NSAID will help with pain relief, but even more key, it will greatly help reduce the inflammation that will crop up as the result of sunburn. Taking an NSAID will help prevent long term skin damage and will speed healing up quite a lot. 

Natural remedies are great, but sometimes we need more than that, and these over the counter products are here to help. Taking ibuprofen like cookies is a bad idea, but sunburn is one example of when you actually benefit a lot from taking it.

Oh, that is a very good tip, the ibuprofen!

In addition to treatment recommendations, there are always of course also the basic tips. They're make sure you cool down after getting a sunburn, either using cold compresses or in the shower. Sunburn draws a LOT of moisture from your skin, don't underestimate that! Keep on moisturizing your body throughout the day and of course make sure to drink enormous quantities of water. These basic tips are at least as important as using the right remedies.

Apply aloe vera gel over the affected area or you can apply milk.