Hey there. Here I am again, with my cat problems. It’s been a while since everything was ok with all of my cats. I was just commenting that with my friend the other day, and only a few days later, here comes the problem. :/ My youngest cat is having problems with her stomach. It seems to me that she is in pain. Her stomach is bloated and she seems to be in a very bad mood. I was planning to find out more from her stool, but then I noticed she has constipation. It’s hard to notice things like that when you have as many pets as I do. So, who can tell me the cure for cat with bloated stomach and constipation?

Hello. I think that we all do know what are the symptoms of bloated stomach and constipation. So, there is no need to repeat them. I can suggest you a couple of cures that are really helpful in this situation. For example, you can always try low fiber and high in concentrated meat protein diet can cause constipation. This is something that needs to be healed. This is something that you can heal with high fiber cat foods, which are usually formulated for senior cats. These foods contain more fiber and less fat than average commercial cat foods. You can try with this and let us know is your cat OK.

Hey there Mima. And, Dog Whisper, of course :)

It is very common problem in cats. I am dealing it for a while now with my cat. Usually, the food is the main cause of it. The cure is really simple – you need to change diet program for your cat. You can also try with Metamucil. It is a fibber supplement and it is recommend by vets for bloated stomach and constipation. I am not a huge fan of supplements, but I have to admit that I used it once and my cat was much better for a couple of days :)

But still, you should ask your vet a little bit more about this.

Hello people. I think that there is not a single one cat owner who didn’t have those problems with cats. That means that his problem is very common. So people were mostly talking about cures for bloated stomach but there is a way to treat constipation, right? It is very simple. You should just follow next steps. You need to ensure that your cat is drinking clean and fresh water. You should feed her with high – fiber diet program. If this doesn’t work, you should give some medications to her. The best thing is to put them in the food. Good luck.

That is very common in cats, they often have difficulties with digesting the food, and it doesn’t necessarily mean that she has some serious problem with her digestive system. Maybe she just ate something bad. And bad feeding for cat would mean putting her on a low fiber diet.  

Dehydration can also lead to constipation. 

My suggestion would be to put your cat on a high fiber diet and that will solve the problem in the future. And to solve the problem now you can use laxatives, but the ones that are specially made for pets, don’t ever use those for humans.

A high fiber diet should help. It’s even better if it’s prescribed by a vet. You may use pumpkin, bran cereal etc. And make sure she drinks lots and lots of fluids.

I suppose you’re feeding her with kibble?

Is there any chance that she somehow swallowed some foreign object such as… I don’t know, a string, a bone or something?

Cause if she did, that can be a serious problem and may lead to surgery.

If the constipation is a result of side effects of some medication, it is supposed to go away as soon as the consumption of that med stops.

Hey there. High fiber diet program is amazing cure. Actually, it is the best. But you need to determine what is the cause of it and depending on the cause, your vet is the right person who will recommend you one or several treatments. There are stool softeners, laxatives and enema. But you need to know that you should not give it to your cat without your vet’s permission. About high – fiber diet, I think that you need to ask your vet to prescribe you this diet program. You can add fiber to your cat’s diet with canned pumpkin for example. You need to increase water consumption for your cat and you should increase exercise for your cat.

Hey there. When my friend’s cat had this problem she went to see the vet. Since her cat was in the “mild cases” group she was treated with enemas but given by vet. Advice – do not do this at home because if you do this alone and incorrectly it can cause a lot of damage to your cat.

I agree with advice – high fiber diet is definitely helpful.

Soak dry food in equal parts of water is OK as wel.

A little of cow milk, brain fiber or even psyllium added to the high – fiber diet can cure this.

Good luck there :)

Hi everyone,

I guess everyone already told you about high in fiber diets. They all did, every single one of them, at least once. 

It can take some time to fix this using this diet so if you want to deal with this fast, I would recommend laxatives for cats. They are not as bad as you might think.

I don't know why are they advising you to give your cat clean water: shouldn't you be doing that always? Plenty of clean water and healthy food. This constipation is probably caused by something bad that she ate. Once she gets it out of her system, she's gonna be fine. :)

Good day everyone.

It is very common situation in cats. At least in my case. I really have a lot experience with it and I think that I can give you some smart advice :)

Dalmatian Lover, I really don’t understand why they telling clean and fresh water :) I totally agree with you. I mean, you won’t give your dog dirty water, right?

Yes, fiber diet is OK but if this is not working for your cat you can always try Metamucil. I am against medications but I have to admit that I have this medication just in case.

It is very helpful.