I had a porcelain crown placed on an upper molar in Dec. 2014. No problems at all. Now 9 months later, this tooth has suddenly grown extremely sensitive to hot and cold. It hurts a lot, almost like an electrical charge going through the tooth, and then instantly subsides. 

Went to dentist who took an X-ray and said he doesn't see any signs of problem with the root or other nearby tooth. Has anyone ever had this problem? It sounds to me like I have an abscess brewing. I never had a crown give me problems months after its placement before

I am . Well a porcelain crown is mixed with metal, and anything hot or cold is being transferred throw the metal part.

It could also be inflamed. Gums can get very inflamed since the tooth is shaped and stuff before hand and it it shaped past the gum-line and can take a long time to heal. Take some over the counter anti- inflammatory meds (Like ibuprofen) and also buy a thing of Maximum toothache reliever (It's the nice numbing stuff you get for babies but get the adult ones.) and use those as directed till you can get back to your dentist. also maybe when brushing your teeth use warm water and floss more slowly then once you get it between the teeth just pull the string out instead of back up. Also, if you use mouth wash go for something that has mint in it and mix a bit of it with hot water (It will become warm by the time you go to use it.) and swish it around. it should help with the pain and clean your teeth at the same time. This is what I do to lesson the pain when time to brush my teeth.

1. take two ibuprofen 10 to 15 minutes before I start.
2. get my mouth wash ready (Mix half a cap of mouth wash with half a cap of hot water)
3. Floss teeth.
4. Brush teeth (Use warm water when running the toothbrush under water.)
5. Use the mouth wash.
6. Wait a bit and if the sensitivity is still bothering you (Which it should have lessened or stop by then thanks to the ibuprofen.) Then put the numbing stuff on.

that should help also ask your dentist about the fluoridex mouthwash and the fluoridex toothpaste. My dentist gave me that for my small early stage of gingivitis and I used it after I got my crown put in and it helps.