Hi all, I had gum graft surgery on my two bottom front teeth on Thursday, used Alloderm (donated tissue). This is a re-do from about 15 years ago, didn’t get full results back then. But, with updated techniques, I am hopeful this time will be more successful. First off, I hate going to the dentist. I really dislike being messed with, especially oral. Find a good, trustedperiodontist who knows what he is doing. For my surgery I opted for local only, the actual procedure isn’t bad compared to recovery, and my local even wore off at the end and I felt the last stitch go in (behind my bottom teeth). I highly recommend that you get your medications And groceries Before your procedure so you can just go home and stay there ! I advise starting on your antibiotic before your procedure as well and having an ice pack and pain med with you to take as soon as you are done with surgery. The local can wear off very quickly ! Drink lots of ice water, No straws! For optimal healing, I advise minimal talking and activity for three days. Rest as much as possible. I took five days off work and it was the best decision. You absolutely will not feel like going to work the day after especially if you have to move or talk there! I am taking minimal pain meds because I am highly sensitive, so I’m only on low dose Tylenol and ibuprofen. Take your pain meds with food so you don’t have tummy upset or side effects. Very important to take all of your antibiotic. Make a real effort to keep a nutritious diet. Ensure is great to supplement, try to concentrate on protein. I  am on smoothies (no raspberries or fruit with small seeds- they can get impacted in wounds), veggie broth, chicken broth (barely warm), pudding, yogurt, mashed bananas, soft serve ice cream, popsicles (cut up), applesauce, basically anything you can just swallow. Then move up to mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, grits, add cinnamon, honey, milk to foods to increase nutritional value. Brush teeth gently with a manual toothbrush. (Avoid surgery sites) I put my electric toothbrush aside for now. Don’t spit. Don’t swish the prescribed mouthwash-just tip your head back and forth, forward and back to distribute it.  

One more thing, the swelling is bad. I iced my face as directed and my lower face is very swollen. I look quite distorted. From what I have read swelling is normal, but if it starts to increase after day 5, call the doc