Hey there. My dog has really sensitive gums and teeth. I did everything to find amazing toothbrush and toothpaste, and it worked – for three months lol :)

Now, he is refusing to clean his teeth and I don’t know what to do, because I do know that this is very important part of hygiene. But, I can’t do anything. He doesn’t want me to clean his teeth. So, I was wondering, according to your experience, do you know what can I do instead of cleaning dogs teeth?

Do you have any recommendation?  I want his teeth to be clean every day, and I am a little bit desperate now. 

There are many ways for cleaning your dog’s teeth. Have you tried giving him treats after brushing his teeth or maybe taking him to a walk? That way he will associate teeth cleaning with it and he will be in a better mood when he sees a toothbrush.

If that doesn’t work, you can always go to your local pet shop and buy him those chewing toys or chewing bones that help in teeth cleaning.

You can also give him actual bones, that’s a great way to maintain his dental hygiene. Those bones should be cooked if you ask me. I avoid giving my dog raw bones. 

If your dog is reluctant to not having his teeth cleaned by toothpaste and toothbrush, you can try different alternatives.

First of all, I would recommend to feed him only fresh food (avoid canned food and treats) as it contains high percentage of carbohydrates which prevents forming of tartar on dog’s teeth.

Another way of maintaining oral hygiene of your dog is to use mixture for cleaning dog’s teeth and gums. You can find it in every pharmacy and pet shop and it consists of hydrogen peroxide and aloe vera juice.

The last thing I would recommend is real bones for prevention of plaque.

I think you will succeed in maintaining his oral health!

Hello. I had the same problem with my Boo at the beginning. He was refusing toothpaste and toothbrush, and I was pretty much crazy about this whole situation. But, I found some alternatives and they were pretty much helpful. Good and fresh food is one of the alternatives as well. I remember that my boyfriend tried anesthesia – free teeth cleaning as well. I have to say that I am against this, and I am for good, fresh food. I do believe that this is the great way of keeping your dog teeth clean. Try it. I know that a lot of vets are avoiding those new ways of cleaning dogs teeth. 

You can do lots of stuff. I’ve had a dog for almost 4 years now and I never brushed his teeth with a toothbrush. Not even once. And I should mention that he has never had problems with his dental health, whenever we go to the vet, he tells us that his dental hygiene is on a remarkable level.

I use all sorts of chewing treats. They can help a lot when it comes to teeth cleaning. You can buy them in all these different shapes and colors. And with many different tastes.

My dog loves these bones that have a taste of chicken. 

I’ve never tried those chewing toys nor treats. I definitely will. 

What should I say when I come to the pet shop, just ask for chewing toys or they have a specific brand? I guess the seller will know better since she has a dog of her own. She probably used it before.

I myself use cooked bones. Whenever I notice my dog’s dental hygiene getting worse, I like to buy fresh bones, cook them and then just give him the bones without cutting them so that he can clean his teeth by chewing them. 

Avoid chicken bones please, you don’t want your dog to choke.

Hello. First, I need to agree with you, Mima. Chicken bones ARE NOT for dogs, they can’t eat it. So, avoid it. Second thing. It is really hard when your dog refuses you to clean his teeth. I had this problem like probably every other dog owner, but now I don’t have this problem. But, I am one of the owners that have tried everything as well. On the top of my list are those chewing toys and treats.  There are a lot of benefits of dog dental treats, such as improving and cleaning teeth and better gum health. Dogs that chew actually have less plaque build up, and some types of dog dental treats and diets can reduce plaque about 70%.