What can you tell me about cycling after prostatectomy? Is it possible to ride a bike and how long after the surgery? My brother will apparently have to undergo this surgery, because he has a tumor. Hes a fit and dynamic person and he loves cycling. Were worried that this operation will depress him and it would be good if he could practice some of the activities he enjoys.

Im sorry to hear that. You shouldnt worry because its a routine surgery and there are several techniques. There are, for example, TURP, open prostatectomy or laparoscopic surgery. After the more invasive ones, its not recommended to ride a bike or to run. This is especially the case after robotic radical prostatectomy. But I think that the situation is completely different with laparoscopic surgery. But, if your brother is fit and in good shape, he wont have any problem to recover form the surgery and continue his life normally. Whats certain is that walking will be one of the physical activities hell be able to practice, at least at the beginning. Later on, I believe that he will be able to introduce even cycling. Just remember Lance Armstrong who continued his brilliant career after testicular cancer.