My grandfather is diagnosed with prostate cancer not so long time ago. Immediately, his doctor wanted to perform cryosurgery. I wonder is that recommended way to treat his condition, or his doctor is wrong. I have heard cryosurgery has been used for some other problems, but never for prostate cancer. Can you tell me more about cryosurgery, and its appliance with his disorder?

Cryosurgery is a controlled freezing process of the prostate, which has now being offered as an alternative to these traditional treatments. Cryosurgery has been used for many years in the treatment of skin cancers, probably you have heard only about this appliance of cryosurgery. This technology has now being utilized in the treatment of cancers of the liver, prostate, pancreas and kidney, so you should not doubt in his doctor’s decision. Cryosurgery is less invasive than tradition surgery solutions, and seems it is associated with fewer complications. It can be done as an outpatient procedure, but anyway cryosurgery is not without risk. Impotence is a major complication with all forms of treatment for prostate cancer, as well as with this procedure. Another serious complication after cryosurgery is rectal fistula formation that has also been reported sometimes. Complications were most frequently in patients who had already been radiated prior to their cryosurgery. Cryosurgery appears to be more effective than current standard treatment options, which is why I believe his doctor chosen right step.