I have heard that a person usually has to have a skin contusion, abrasion, cut, or opening to develop necrotizing fasciitis. I have heard it is condition, because this way bacterium enters our body. However, I have also heard for spontaneous cases where no apparent injury can be found. That is why I wonder are there persons who are simply prone to necrotizing fasciitis. Can you tell me more about this problem and more about this disease as well?

Simply to know, person has to be exposed to the bacteria, either through direct contact with a carrier, or because the bacteria is present on the person. It usually is an invasive strain or serotype, of the streptococcus that causes necrotizing fasciitis. There are higher risk groups for contracting this infection. However, a person does not need any predisposing conditions to be prone to developing necrotizing fasciitis. It can happen to anyone: young, old, adult, child, any race, and any size, healthy or not. No one is out of danger and you do not need to be immunodepressed to get this. The name flesh-eating bacteria are a little sensational, but essentially, this is what the bacteria do in necrotizing fasciitis. It gets into the body, quickly reproduces, and gives off toxins and enzymes that destroy the soft tissue and fascia. Because of this, tissue quickly becomes gangrenous, which means dead. Important is to know that this gangrenous tissue must be surgically removed to save the life of the patient.