Hi, any thoughts on this would be appreciated...

I'm 43, male, fairly active, non-smoker, non-drinker. 5'-10" and 170lbs. I have times when I go to take a deep breath and am greeted with a severe, sharp (cramp like?) pain in various areas of my upper torso. In the extreme these last a day or longer - more usually only a few hours or less. I've been to the doc and don't have high BP or any weird blood issues. Indeed, the doc seems unconcerned. I kind of freak out when these events show up and I would sure like to know what's going on. They occur most frequently when I am fairly stationary or just up walking around. They seem to be loosely tied to the 1-3 days after I have had some sort of serious physical workout. I know I know, I probably sound like an id**t for not just accepting this as muscle cramps from over-exertion. Still, when I have an episode it really affects my breathing and my fight or flight reflex is triggered. Any thoughts on this? A vitamin deficiency? I've searched the web and can't find answers - just lots of breathing programs. thx.

Hey, im 21 and i think i know exactly what ur talkin about. It only hurts when i breath too deep or too shallow. I must mention, mine is slightly different in that it has never lasted a whole day or anything. When i first started experiencing these pains it was just uncomfortable so i actually somewhat beat my chest until it went away.. haha. But i asked my mom about it.. she said it was an air pocket/bubble/somethin of the sort. and she told me it was just trapped and causing pain (i guess from the pressure/expansion of my chest when i breath...idk) but she instructed me to invert my chest(head stand, etc) to let it come out of its entrapment.. and phenomenally it went away!!

so idk if thats actually what it is or not but the solution absolutely always worked for me... so hopefully this helps ur situation...

Hello, You have not mentioned whether you exercise regularly or not? I had this problem long back and my doctor advised me to do regular exercise. He advised not to go for vigorous but regular exercise. Something like atleast walking for 15 minutes twice each day. Practising that, I never afterwards (after a week maybe) had the probem again!.