Hi, I'm a 21 year old male, and this is the 3rd occasion I have had this problem. Here goes the long explanation, skip to last 3 paragraphs to ignore the previous occurrences.

The first occurrence was when I was playing soccer at the gym. Right as I started running I started getting chest pain and shortness of breath. I was worried about it but played for 30 minutes, usually having to drop back into goalie and rest, and then quit, and didn't really exercise for a few months as the chest pain made even walking a mile uncomfortable. I got back into running and playing soccer after a few months and forgot all about it.

Then, last fall I had the problem again, this time I paid more attention to what I was feeling. I would ride my bike about 3 miles to and from class everyday, but one day the chest pain came back. I'd make it about a 1/4 of a mile before it was very uncomfortable and the pain would spread to my shoulder, on the top the socket. Both pains on the left side. When I would finally get to class I couldn't breathe without knowing I was trying to, and it felt more comfortable to exhale and hold my breath.

After about a week of dealing with this, I finally decided to goto the school hospital. By the time I was there for my appointment and they got to me, I was not feeling the symptoms. I told them about the chest pains and shoulder, and shortness of breath. They had me do an EKG (heart test?), get chest x-rays, and a lung capacity test. They found nothing except that I wasn't quite where I should be on the lung capacity. It said my lung age was 28 (I was 20 at the time). The doctor said it was probably allergies affecting my lungs and prescribed me a standard albuterol inhaler to use before any activity.

I used the inhaler everyday before riding and the problem seemed to fade away after another week or so. Then I stopped using it all together and forgot about the problem.

Here I am about 6 months later and having the problem again. This time it started randomly while I was sitting down, yelling to my roommate. As before, I feel sharp chest pains usually when walking medium distances or riding my bike, which spread to my shoulder especially during physical activity lasting longer than a minute. When I lay down on my back at night, the chest pain comes back, but is not bad at all if I inhale and hold my breath, and is much worse when I exhale and hold my breath.

I usually sleep on my side so its not a big problem, but the weird thing is when I'm on my left side (the side the pain is on) I can feel/hear my heart beat very audibly. It sounds kind of like a gurgle, like water slapping against the side of a glass or the sound your stomach makes when its full of liquid and you move suddenly. Its not necessarily on everybeat, just randomly makes that sound. Also, the pain doesn't always happen when I'm doing something physical, for example I was jumping on a trampoline for the first time in years a few days ago, and got really tired doing it but had no chest pain or anything.

I was telling 2 friends about it earlier today (who are both studying to be nurses) and they guessed maybe it was fluid in my lungs. The inhaler hasn't really been helping so I feel like the hospital may have gotten it wrong (they have a reputation for being very subpar, quick to tell girls their pregnant whenever they have any type of sickness). I have been thinking about going to see another doctor but don't like taking unnecessary trips to the hospital as its expensive.

Hi, I've been researching online trying to find out what is wrong with me, as noone seems to know whats wrong with me, and after reading this article, your symptons are exactly the same as mine, especially the weird gurgling sound, that only happens when I'm lying in bed on my left hand side, and I get the pains that spread to my back when doing minimal exercise ( even going for a brisk walk brings on the pain) I am 26, and am in reasonably good shape fitness wise, which is why I have no idea what is happening to me, as I cannot do any kind of exercise at the minute. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what it could be, and if the orginal poster is still about, did they ever find a solution?

Try taking Turmeric. It is major anti-inflammatory. Also, supplement with Ubiquinol, Vita C, Flax oil, Vita A and D.

It might be anything what doctors might not have even thought about it. 1- neck cervical vertebra dislocation because you might have hit your neck somewhere and those nerves are controlling the diaphragm 2- might be parasites concentrated in diaphragm only like trichinosis or Schistozomasis 3- It might be due to open mouth breathing for a long time not nasal breathing- due to nose problems- which have lead to breathing pattern having been changed , so it may create sinusitis and tortured breathing. I have the same breathing problem specially at nights and no one can diagnose what it is. what i wrote here are because of my research on web but I am not sure of any of them. just a clue.

i had this pain started from a small back ache due to poor position sleeping and then it got worse after doing nothing about it 4 days later coudnt move or bend felt like my back had just given up, i had decieded to go to A&E everytime i breathed my organs would sink and my stomach was sinking the pain was worse around the middle area back, after waiting 3hrs i was seen by a caring understanding dr who can see the pain i was he explained to me the pain i was getting was due to muscle and can happen anytime i dont remember doing anything to bring this pain on but i felt helpless the dr had given me co-codamol 500mg and 400mg to take together  i took them before leaving the hospital and in 30 min felt so much better but made me drowsey and made my mouth dry but thank god the pain has gone less but after reading the above articles im sure taking its the tablets you would feel better, i too had the shoulder and arm pain and when i would sit and breathe its so painful and even yawning was a pain im just glad i got it sorted and i didnt need to go to have x-rays the dr was very good god bless him he gave me plenty of tablets and i will go to my gp to get more of the above tablets to keep on standby .

It kinda sounds like Angina Pectoris to me.

You should properly diagnose your lungs and continue talking inhaler till the exact cause is not diagnosed.