Hi, I can not imagine my life without some of my favorite foods. These include potatoes and pasta. Recently I have found out that these foods are rich with starch. Perhaps they caused me to gain a few extra pounds. Anyway, do you have a word of advice for me since I am apparently eating too many starches?

Hi, your favorite food has been proven to be rich in starches. It is certain that they are making you fat. There is no doubt about it. You can gain fat when you eat to much starchy food because starch is a complex carbohydrate made out of glucose. And I am sure you know what glucose can do to your figure. My advice is simple. You could have drawn the same conclusion since you are now familiar with the effects of starches. You should at least cut down on your favorite food. The best thing would be to create a new nutrition plan. For this, the best help can be provided by a professional nutritionist. Therefore, I suggest you pay a visit to him.

These practical tips can help you make healthier choices. The two keys to a healthy diet are eating the right amount of food for how active you are and eating a range of foods to make sure you're getting a balanced diet.

A healthy balanced diet contains a variety of types of food, including lots of fruit, vegetables and starchy foods such as wholemeal bread and wholegrain cereals; some protein-rich foods such as meat, fish, eggs and lentils; and some milk and dairy foods.

On this page
1. Base your meals on starchy foods
2. Eat lots of fruit and veg
3. Eat more fish
4. Cut down on saturated fat and sugar
5. Try to eat less salt - no more than 6g a day
6. Get active and try to be a healthy weight
7. Drink plenty of water
8. Don't skip breakfast

1. Base your meals on starchy foods
Starchy foods such as bread, cereals, rice, pasta and potatoes are a really important part of a healthy diet. Try to choose wholegrain varieties of starchy foods whenever you can.
Starchy foods should make up about a third of the food we eat. They are a good source of energy and the main source of a range of nutrients in our diet. As well as starch, these foods contain fibre, calcium, iron and B vitamins.
Most of us should eat more starchy foods - try to include at least one starchy food with each of your main meals. So you could start the day with a wholegrain breakfast cereal, have a sandwich for lunch, and potatoes, pasta or rice with your evening meal.
Some people think starchy foods are fattening, but gram for gram they contain less than half the calories of fat. You just need to watch the fats you add when cooking and serving these foods, because this is what increases the calorie content.
Why choose wholegrain foods?
Wholegrain foods contain more fibre and other nutrients than white or refined starchy foods.
We also digest wholegrain foods more slowly so they can help make us feel full for longer.

Wholegrain foods include:
Wholemeal and wholegrain bread, pitta and chapatti
Wholewheat pasta and brown rice
Wholegrain breakfast cereals

If you don't want to become a diabetic or stay a diabetic or you want to lose weight and be healthy, this is NOT good advice. Most people in America eat way too many starches. This high starch American diet and pharma is what keeps the medical community in business. The medical community is trained indirectly by pharma (FDA full of docs and pharma companies) who contributes to education institutions and buys an interest in the curriculum. The medical community is trained to manage disease and medications only. The USA has more diabetics than less, since the FDA has given us the food pyramid. Doctors and nurses only have one quarter of nutritional training in all their education.

If you want to learn how to eat, talk to your chiropractor or a natural doctor. Really, the best thing for you to do is to become an advocate of your own health. YOU are the only one that can save yourself from a sure early death due to eating the way most Americans do. Consider eating proteins and produce. Go light on the fruit and heavy on the veggies. Eat as raw (veggies) as you can. Eat dark leafy veggies and greens as a separate food group from veggies. Go light on oils, meats, dairy, fruit and dairy. Above all exercise and drink lots of pure spring water. Sleep 8 hours a night and don't take drugs. If you are on drugs, find a natural doctor or chiropractor that will help you get off drugs safely, if your own doctor won't. Stay informed and diligent in learning about your health from reliable sources. Truly well-informed people can often avoid taking pharma. I have devoted my life to learning how to eat to live, and I don't have a degree but I work in health care and I see how it works. You can do live long and healthy! In Health!

PS I will be surprised if they post this, but I hope they do!

I just posted this and it has 9 yes's and 12 no's. This is not accurate!

You should cut out as much processed starch as possible. Potatoes are not that bad. It's what you put on it that tends to be bad. Try to limit your pasta to 1 time a week, potato 1 time a week at least. Increase your fresh fruit and vegetables. Try to stay away from fruit jiuces. They rarely are without added sugars and lack much in the way of fiber.

If you haven't started yet, start an exercise program. Check with your doctor 1st. If you can, ask a trainer to show you the proper way to do your exercises and get you started on a routine. At the very least, check back with your trainer after 4 weeks to make modifications to your workout. Your body gets too used to the same routine and will get a little stagnant. The modifications will help you stay on track.

Good luck!

Be Healthy,
Renee'