I have a dull complexion with some discoloration in places. I was recently advised to use a potato mask on my skin, by the girl who does my eyebrows. She says she uses it every day and it is true that she has gorgeous looking skin. Reading some more, I read that potato is a natural exfoliator and this is the reason that it brightens the skin and evens the tone out. I normally only exfoliate twice a week, and I am now worrying that using potato masks every day is too much. I have already started, by the way, and have applied it every day for the last six days. Should I cut down?

If it is working for you, why change it unless you think it is too much hassle perhaps? I have read that many people have excellent results with potato masks. It never occurred to me that those people may be applying the masks every single day, however, and of course they may not be. If you think it is too much, switch to every other day and see if you are still getting the same results. 

By the way, you may also like to try this. I read that DRINKING raw potato gives your skin a real boost from the inside out. If you go for the masks every other day, you may like to put half a potato into a nice smoothie or juice and drink it on the days you are not using the mask?

Eeeh... Who on earth told you to do that and what is it for? I have witch like stories about getting rid of your warts that way, which included flinging the potato over your shoulder without looking back afterwards, and when the potato had rotten away the verruca would be gone. Nah, I wouldn't do that. If I were you I'd go with cucumber instead. That is nice and soothing and mostly water and vitamins anyway so it can't be bad for your skin. Potato on the other hands smells nasty. Don't wanna smell like your Sunday roast, do you?

Well yeah, cucumber is another good thing to put on your skin. Potato masks do work as well. They have a lot of vitamin C which obviously works, and what's more they also have brightening properties. It is for that reason that many people use them. If you have dark circles under your eyes, potatoes work wonders. I do think of this as a weekly or twice weekly treatment and definitely not something you do every day, mind you. I could never keep up with that kind of routine! And I would be worried my skin wouldn't like it as well. So yeah, to the OP, I'd cut way back on that and just do it occasionally, once or twice a week and not every day.

There is nothing wrong with putting raw potato juice on your face every single day, especially if you have blemishes. It fights acne, wrinkles, sun damage, and dark circles under your eyes and it also brightens the skin. It is really very beneficial and if your skin is improving with daily use of potato juice, why not continue? I see no reason to change anything, as there is nothing bad in potato and it doesn't irritate your skin in any way.

Yes, I agree with you. The only reason to change something is that it might be costing the OP an awful lot of time and effort to engage in this routine every single day. Other than that, potatoes are good for your skin and not bad, and they offer an extremely affordable alternative to skincare products designed to do the same things. However, you want to work on this both externally and internally, hence my suggestion to drink raw potato juice too, by adding it to a smoothie (because it does not taste all that wonderful on its own.)

Celebrity

I have tried potato masks under my eyes in the recent past, since I have persistent dark circles. What I noticed is that the potato works well at reducing puffiness in the skin. This is why I really like the masks. However, what they do not do for me is remove the pigmentation issues I have in my intraorbital area. I admit to not being as committed as you and using the masks every day. Could that be where I went wrong? Could I be improving my dark circles by turning to potato masks every single day? It is, I guess, a possibility. 

I do not see anything wrong with using potato masks every day, and may try again myself. Thanks for sharing that. 

Rosie

Celebrity
So, I have had potato masks every day since posting this. I am really hoping that it will improve my dark circles. What I am now wondering is whether I can safely combine this with lemon for an extra bleach like effect or whether there would be bad interactions that would make matters worse, if I did that. Does anybody here happen to have experience with using lemon and potato at the same time to fight dark circles?

Rosie

yes, you can! i have uneven skin tone, darker skin, myself and what i use is lime juice and potato juice in equal quantities. they both contain natural lightening agents and worked well to even out some of the darker patches which i was having on my forehead. Just apply it naturally with your finger tips, leave it for a total of 15 minutes and then wash it off with simple water. immediately i can see my skin is more toned and looks healthy, because there are so many vitamins in there that your skin is hungry for.

Using a potato mask on your skin daily is not only not too much by any means, most people will actually tell you outright that you NEED TO USE POTATO MASKS DAILY to get any of the benefits, meaning lighter skin, less wrinkles and reduced tiredness, So just keep on doing what you are doing, just wash the mask off after 10 minutes approximately, and you will be noticing an improvement to your skin very soon. If you only use it ocasionally you are going to think the masks don't work properly and give up on them altogether.

Thanks for the post. I am inspired to try using potato mask for my badly pigmented skin.

May I caution you on consuming raw potatoes ?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of web addresses is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

There’s an advice against it because of the possible chance of poisoning.

Blessed day

Hi i have been using potatoes and lemon juice overnight from last few days I was just worried wether I can keep dis juice on my face overnight or not or shud I use only potatoes juice. Is der any side effect of prolonged keeping for overnight

Everyone's skin is different and as such may react differently to things. I have used potato juice on my face every day and as result of thing my skin became dry and flaky. Normally my skin is very oily so the 180 in my skin's behavior was very surprising. I didn't have sensitive skin before but after using potato juice on my face so often my skin became dry and sensitive. Immediately I had to stop. The funny thing is that I did put potato juice on my face everyday in times past but I would always stop to give my skin a rest but this time around I'm not sure what went wrong. Monitor you skin's reaction and build up a tolerance to it and see what works for you.

Within two days I have got black on my cheeks yet it was light black in colour I want to know it will be helpful to reduce it colour

New Member

I wonder if i should try this mask. I have sensitive skin and annoying black circles under my eyes. Has anyone tried potato mask for sensitive skin?