Is there any connection? I have recently started doing push ups. I just do one set in the morning and one set in the evening of as many as I can do (which is an embarrasingly low number). But I noticed that during my race this weekend, my shoulders were tight and almost painful. They felt better when I would shake out my arms. However, I don't recall my shoulders bothering me on long previous long runs.

Could tight shoulders be from doing the push ups or could they be just from trying to run faster during the race?

Any suggestions on now to keep the shoulders looser - other than shake the arms more often?

I don't do pushups on a regular basis, but I bench 2x a week and that's kind link an upside down pushup with heavier weight. :?

The only time my shoulders bother me is when I'm stressing about the run/race. If I shake my arms out and focus on relaxing, the tension will go away.

Your shoulders don't hurt outside of running do they?

Nope, shoulders are fine when not running. Actually, they seem fine all the time except for my race this past weekend.

PH, you are probably right about thinking too much about the race. I think I was worried about my pace and having to get back home quickly after the race was completed. I will see how the shoulders do on my last run this weekend. I figure that worst case I will just have to remember to flap my arms every so often.

Are you pumping your arms harder during your runs lately...or a lot during the race? This always get my shoulders really sore, and, like you, I'm only affected when I run.

Shelly

Maybe. I was running faster and longer in the race than I usually do, so I assume that I was pumping my arms more.
Think the tightness will go away or will it be something that I will just have to deal with if I expect to ran fast (for me) and longer distances?

I think that once you learn to relax more when you go farther and faster, you'll whip this problem.