Long post...

Running really is SO important on how good mentally you are. I usually while running shorter races (in particular the 200) start out slow and then finish extremely fast on the last 100. We did 8x200 speed intervals today. One curve, one straightaway. I was in the fastest sprinting group on our team (i'm not even short distance), and we were running 3 at a time. The first seven times sometimes I got 1st, sometimes I finished a little bit behind. We are all pretty equal on 200 speed.

My problem in races has always been that ive been weak mentally in that when a guy passes me I havent challenged him. I've always been the first to quit and I'm given the challenge of going head-to-head against someone. Well on the 8th and final time me and the other dude started out on the curve neck and neck. Usually I would have been screw it and just maybe caught him after. But this time I made the effort to stay right with him, and because of that, he was the one to break first. After we finished that curve, I was in the lead, and that final 100 was a breeze, me ending up finishing first.

I swear I think i used to watch too much cartoons though :D
I had this great image while we were coming around the curve of like everything shaking and the earth crumbling as our wills fought. That really is how hard it was mentally for do it though.

well lol even though that may seem like im overanalyzing it was good for me and i felt like ranting :D

It is mental. If you tell yourself you're not going to do it, then chances are you won't/ You just got to get out there and do it.
Do you want to do long runs?

Here's a few quotes I think you'll like...

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired...You've always got to make the mind take over and keep going."
- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General and 1912 Olympian

"Mind is everything: muscle - pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind."
- Paavo Nurmi

"A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts."
- Steve Prefontaine

If you tell yourself you can do it, you're right.
If you tell yourself you can't do it, you're right.

Yeah, if I'm running with/against someone. To be honest, running for me isnt fun unless I am going fast. If you're going to run, you might as well do it fast, and to better yourself. That's how I see it :D
I can stand longer runs at a slower pace more than short runs at a slower pace though. :)

You are right that Mental plays a big part in running. The more you run I think the more you will teach your mind to ignore pain and to want to beat the person next to you. I find that the training group I run with, we all try and run a little harder on the way back from an out and back. Subconsciously we still want to beat each other even though we are all friends. Come race time the gloves are off and each man tries to do his best.

Good Luck with learning to accept the challenge of the person next to you and try to kick his butt.

There's no dispute about this.

I cannot tell you how many runs I've had where my mind took me out of it and I just stopped (or didn't reach my milege goal). This being after I pushed myself and pushed myself more and gave my brain mental pep rallies to go. Somewhere it was done and so was I.

My hardest challenge was definitely during my marathon in January. That 4:15 pace group passed me and I literally said, "I QUIT! I'm done. I cannot beat that time, so I'm not running another inch". After walking and crying for two miles, I sucked it up to run/walk to the finish. Wow, what a game my mind played on my that day. :umno:

It's mental, it's mental.

BTW. If you can deal with physical and mental challenges...you most certainly can deal with the emotional as well.

How true this is. If my body is in run mode and my mind isn't, it's a challange for sure. It's a mental game a good part of the time.

I always enjoyed the LSD. Even better were LSD's with another runner or group of runners. LSD's for me were a time to enjoy the run.

The hardest part of runs for me are always the first 1-2 miles, where my brain is telling me to stop. Probably the endorphins take over that though so thats good.