About 10 weeks ago I had a classic winter cold. Since then I have not been able to stop coughing. The cough is nonproductive - sometimes "normal" sounding, sometimes it has a barking sound to it and occasionally a wheeze when coughing. I have had chronic cough during the winter months for 20 years or so but never one that lasts this long. I have had a chest x-ray (negative), been prescribed Claritin, prescription nasal spray (for post nasal drip which I know I have), antibiotics and an inhaler. Nothing works!! I often have a thick mucus feeling in my throat. Often there is also the feeling like when you take your first breath outdoors on a really cold day. The cough gets worse as the day goes on but never keeps me up at night. Ricola cough drops do help but I am starting to eat them like candy which I know can't be good for me. Somtimes my chest has a very dull "ache" to it but I believe thats just from all the coughing I am doing. Also sometimes same dull "ache" in my back. No other symptoms - good appetite, energy is fine, no fevers etc. I am 47 and have never smoked. Can anyone help? I am going crazy with this!!

I know what your going through I just stopped coughing after eight months  I started in may and got over it in december I will get right to the point. I went to the doctor three times and was given antibotics which did nothing.  I then was given Prednisone which was 6 days of one pill each day.  It helped a little but did not clear up the coughing. 

In Nov. I went to anothe Dr. and he prescribed prednisone again.  This time the doseage was much higher.  It was 9 days of pills(20 MGs)(18 pills total) starting with 3 a day reducing to 2 then to one.  This knocked it out completely.  I am so happy to be completely done coughing. 

I also had an allegy test and was not diagnosed with that.

I hope you get some relief.

Perhaps you have symptoms of acid reflux which could be alleviated by taking an anti-inflammatory/immunosuppressive drug like prednisolone - try to take some Dramamine and see if your symptoms improve slightly.