I've got a pair of shoes that are approaching the 400 mile mark but they've been used almost exclusively on the treadmill. The look great compared to the pair I use for running on asphalt.

What's the concensus on shoes lasting longer on the treadmill?

John over 50% of my are done on the mill. I notice about the same time to change on my shoes. It has been that way for several years too.

Shoes will last longer on a treadmill, but perhaps not as much longer as it would appear so you need to be a little careful. Your shoes will stay dramatically cleaner on a treadmill vs. the roads. It should be obvious that this doesn't mean the shoes aren't worn out. The next thing is looking at outer sole wear. A treadmill belt is much less abrasive than concrete, so you might put in a huge mileage total before seeing major outer sole wear. While this has some bearing on when it is time to retire your shoes, it isn't the most important factor. With modern shoes, the midsole will generally break down before the outersole starts looking bad. This is especially true on a treadmill where the outersole wears so slowly. A treadmill is a bit softer than running on the street, so you will get more midsole life. But it would be as much as it might appear by looking at the outersole wear or how clean your shoes are.